43

L I B E R T Y   K I N G S 

"Drink this, Liberty." 

I looked at my mom's long thin fingers wrapped around the hot cup of milk. I sighed and took the milk and smelled it. Hmm, it smelled like home and comfort. I took a sip and my tummy instantly warmed up. A small smile made its way to my lip.

"Thanks, Mom." I said and looked at the magnificent view in front of me. 

The Taal volcano and its lake made me feel relaxed after a week of stress inside the hospital. The color of blue and green in one place can really make a person feel at peace. My father was still so mad about the ruckus that I made at my engagement night. He didn't know about my pregnancy. It seems like my Mom didn't tell London Kings a thing.

"He's still mad?" 

My eyes are now directly looking at my Mom. Now two pairs of blue eyes are looking at each other. The thin wrinkles on my Mom's face are now quite more visible than yesterday. Emily Right took a sip of her coffee and glance at the lake and smile bitterly.

"I know that I'm not a perfect mother. I am well aware of my shortcomings to you, Liberty." 

Her eyes soften when she looked at me then at my tummy. I don't have any baby bump as of the moment, sa tingin ko ay sa susunod na buwan pa ako magkakaroon. Honestly, I'm excited to see my baby bump. Ipinatong niya ang kaniyang kamay sa 'king kamay na nakahawak sa mainit na tasa ng gatas. 

"I have been blinded by my pain that I forgot to take care of you. I acted immaturely like I'm single when we part ways. Feeling ko kasi noong nalaman kong may iba pala siya at matagal na, parang nawala sa 'kin lahat. I felt betrayed and played by the person I love the most blindly. It took me years to finally realized that I have you. When I heard about the engagement, I was happy at first." 

"I thought the man you chose got approved by your father, that's why he's giving you your inheritance. Nagmadali pa akong umuwi para makita ang masaya mong mukha. Finally, makikita na ni London ang anak niya at magiging masaya ka pa sa piling ng lalaking mahal mo. But damn, I'm so wrong. When I walked inside that conference room, seeing you all serious I got the idea instantly. We may not have the perfect mother-daughter relationship but you are still my child. I know when you are sad, happy, or when you are hiding something. I may neglect you from time to time but I know my daughter and I know what to do. I need to protect you and my apo."

A tear escaped my Mom's eyes but she didn't bother wiping it instead, she rubbed her thumb to my palm and smiled warmly. 

"I don't know that you are in pain, Mom." I murmur. Nakahihiyang hindi ko man lang napansing nasasaktan pala ang Ina ko.

When my Mom and Dad separated, I only saw her cry once and she even has that angry eyes. I thought she was just angry about the betrayal. Akala ko nasaktan lang ang ego niya dahil sa ginawa ni Dad. Akala ko marriage for convenience lang ang nangyari sa dalawa. I never thought my Mom actually love my Dad dearly. How stupid of me. Sino bang magiging-okay kung nalaman mong niloko ka ng asawa mo? Sino bang hindi masasaktan? 

"I don't want anyone to see my pain. I covered my pain with a facade that I only love his money, na hangat nagbibigay siya ng pera sayo ay okay na ako. I don't want to look pitiful. My face and my name is the only thing that I could save that time. I couldn't save my heart from that downfall."

I reached my Mom's beautiful face and wiped her tears. I stared at her as she closed her eyes and feel my hands caressed her face. Now I know Emily Right's pain. My Mom's pain. One question in my head keeps on popping out and I think this is the right time to ask this.