Chapter 8: Fortunate Souls

"Duelists young and old, professional and amateur alike! Welcome to the Fortune Cup!" the MC declared, his voice booming across the stadium.

The audience roared in excitement, the cheerleaders cheered, and the energy in the whole stadium was palpable.

The Duel Stadium... I remembered being there, but for what reason I couldn't quite recall.

I was in the waiting room with the other duelists. Sayer had allowed me to use the hybrid Duel Disk that came with the Duel Runner he gave me, as well as the deck I used to practice. It was far kinder to me than the other one, so I was grateful. Liquid and Okita had snuck inside to cheer me on from the lobby, and were giving me a pep talk.

"Remember to keep your cool, and don't worry about what the other duelist is thinking," Liquid coached me. "Keep your eyes on the prize, cover your bases, and win the duels with flair."

"Make sure you eat and drink water, as well," Okita reminded me. "I don't want another Day Two Incident. And this is all for the Arcadia Movement."

I nodded and took in yet another deep breath. "I hope I make Sayer proud..."

Liquid gave me a bright grin. "Of course you will!" he exclaimed. "You haven't disappointed him so far!"

It was such a relief that I hadn't disappointed him yet, too. I had thought for sure that I had upset him with my lack of progress during that first week. Thankfully, Sayer let me learn at my own pace, and I was prepared in time for the Fortune Cup.

Okita called my attention again. "We'll be waiting here when you're done with the introduction ceremony. Stay calm, okay? And make sure you behave on stage. Back straight, head high, and keep a straight face."

"Right. I'll be back soon, then," I told them, waving them off with a kind smile before collecting myself and walking beside the other duelists.

The raven-haired man from a week ago was staring at me, but I ignored him. That man was a stranger to me. If I dueled against him, I'd give it everything I had, just like any other duelists.

On the big screen, Red Dragon Archfiend flew over the stage, and Jack Atlas drove out from his garage, used the curved glass to leap onto the stage, and landed right in front of his dragon. He pointed his finger to the sky and, for the millionth time, announced that he was the only King of Turbo Duels, challenging the contestants--us--to duel him.

There were eight Duelists chosen for the Fortune Cup. Akiza, some guy in armor, me, a guy who looks like he could snap me in half and probably would, a professor, some hooded man, a literal child, and the raven-haired man from before.

What a colorful lineup they chose.

"Now let's hear it for the always-mysterious Shira! The great Greiger! The Professor! The radiant but tiny Sylvia Reviar! Miss Akiza Izinski! Sir Randsborg! The lovely Miss Luna! And Yusei Fudo!"

I recognized that last name. So his name was Yusei? For some reason, I felt like I already knew that.

Yusei's face was shown on the screens, and people began to whisper about his criminal mark. To be honest, I had even noticed it when I saw him last time. For some reason, I thought he didn't have one. Or rather, that he wasn't supposed to have had one.

People began chanting in the crowd after murmuring about his criminal mark. Their disdain quickly climbed into something horrendous, and they began to chant and boo. "Who's the loser? Who's the loser? Who's the loser?"

I thought I'd at least feel bad or something, but... nothing. Eventually, Greiger stole the MC's mic and began to talk to the crowd.

"My name is Greiger. I know things are different in this city, but where I come from, you judge a guy on his spirit. Yusei Fudo was chosen for the Fortune Cup as a duelist just like the rest of us were. If you're going to stare at him through stupid rose-colored glasses, then your words do nothing but incite violence!"