Chapter 14: Countdown To Punishment

It was the second day of the tournament, when the semifinals and finals would take place together.

Akiza and I entered the lobby together, but I felt too awkward to sit by her at our previous spot at the table, so instead, I sat on the couch. At first, I was hoping that Yusei would sit across from me, in the spot he'd sat in the day before, but I remembered that his match against Greiger would be the first one of the day.

And after that, me and Akiza... And thus, the two of us were left on our lonesome in the room.

Yusei was out on the track first, and for once, people cheered for him. I guessed that they must've seen how good he was and suddenly changed their minds about his criminal mark.

I wonder if it hurt when Yusei was given that mark...

Greiger's Duel Runner, when it appeared on the track, was absolutely monstrous. I wouldn't have wanted to match up against something like that. But Yusei would be fine, I was sure. After all, he crafted that Duel Runner himself.

If people suddenly changed their minds about a great duelist like Yusei based on his skill, I could only wonder what they thought of a pathetic loser like myself. I certainly knew what I thought, after all.

That entire day had just been a mess. The morning was tense, Akiza avoided me, I could barely talk to Liquid and Okita without them hovering over me like doting parents, wondering if I was feeling okay since the last time, and I even had a meeting with Sayer to ensure that I was still mind controlled. I had to keep talking about "helping the Movement" and "doing what I could for the people who saved me" before he could give me back my deck again, and that's just to borrow it.

My Duel Runner was moved into the Stadium garage, as well, where the rest of the Turbo Duelists had their Runners stored before matches. Yusei and Greiger had just entered the stadium from them, after all, and Jack Atlas's Duel Runner was being stored there as well.

My Runner would be removed from there shortly, so I didn't have to worry too much about that. After all, this was the day I'd lose to Akiza.

Every time I thought about her, my heart grew heavy. I didn't think it was so easy to lose a friend.

Yusei and Greiger set the Field Spell Speed World, and the countdown started.

To be honest, once again, I couldn't focus much on Yusei's duel. I spent most of my time either mourning the passing seconds or looking through my deck to make sure everything was up to snuff again.

Akiza was looking through her cards, too. Probably counting how many ways she could crush me. I sincerely hoped she didn't. Er... Crush me, that is.

I was scared to death that day. I was risking it all. In the end, it was highly possible that I'd end up getting nothing out of it. I'd be imprisoned and punished, I was certain of that much. But more than that, I could lose the friendships I treasured so dearly.

Akiza still glared daggers at me every now and then. I wished she wouldn't look at me so hatefully. I hated myself enough as it was, but having hers on top of it just felt unbearable.

If you keep thinking about everything that can and most likely will go wrong, you will be too petrified to make a move, something told me. So, just this once, don't think. Try and be strong.

Like Yusei.

That last part was tacked on by me, of course, but the voice was right. I'd never heard it before, but I knew it was one of the Weather Painters talking to me from my deck. If I had to guess, I'd say it was Cloud.

If I missed this duel now, I didn't know when I'd get the chance to see Yusei duel again. So I took a deep breath and heeded Cloud's warning, raising my head to see the monitor. This was the last duel I'd watch before my imprisonment, and I had better make it count.