Chapter 19: What We Saw

Yusei wouldn't call himself secretive, but he wasn't the most sociable, either. When barricades were run over by mobs of paparazzi running at him, holding microphones and cameras to shove in his face, he couldn't help feeling overwhelmed. The relief he felt when Bolt and Yanagi led him and the kids the hell out of dodge was a breath of fresh air.

Tanner pointed them in the direction of an abandoned tunnel that used to be in use when the stadium was still being constructed and briefed the group that it would most likely be safer for all of them to stay at Blister's, including Leo and Luna.

Yusei's mouth tugged into a smile when Leo cheered at the prospect of spending more time together. However, as they walked, Luna caught his attention.

"Yusei... Back then, in that light, I saw it all happen," she said. "I saw your duel with Jack."

He was a bit surprised, but he didn't know why. If Luna was a Signer, maybe it only made sense she'd be able to see the duel.

"The Satellite, it was..." Luna couldn't seem to bring herself to finish her sentence, but Yusei knew exactly what she was talking about. The violet flames, the spider mark... "What... was that?"

Yusei hesitated. "...I don't know," he told her finally. "But if that was Satellite's future, then I'll stop it."

That was the end of that conversation. Instead, Luna clasped her sign with her other hand and changed her question. "What is a Signer?"

To Luna's surprise, it was Yanagi who piped up. "I can answer you that one, little Luna! I've learned all sorts of stories from my adventures all around the world! Oh, but before I can tell you what a Signer is, maybe I should start by regaling you with my fantastic journeys all over!"

And he just went on and on. Yusei's face relaxed into a familiar, contented smile as he listened to Yanagi ramble to a frazzled Luna, who tried to keep up with his amazing speedy story. It took him about twenty minutes before he even got into what the People of the Stars were, and Luna was quickly starting to lose focus, no matter how hard she tried to hang on to every word Yanagi was saying.

But those flames... Yusei couldn't dare forget those flames, lest he lose his home and friends.

After a rare pause in Yanagi's rambling, however, Luna grabbed Yusei's attention again. "Wait, there was something I forgot to mention, Yusei! In that light..."

He glanced at her again, prepared for another serious question. Except this time, it wasn't a question.

"I wasn't the only one there," she told him. "Sylvia and Akiza were there with me, and Sylvia's hands were cuffed."

"What?!" Yusei was a bit louder than he'd meant to be, turning to face Luna fully. "You're certain?"

Luna nervously nodded. "Y-yeah. And... it looked like she was lagging behind us. She was struggling to keep up, and Akiza and I helped her. But..."

"...she wasn't in the stadium at the time of the duel," Yusei surmised. "How was she able to watch it all?"

"Well, Yanagi did say there were five Signers, right?" Leo chimed in. "Wouldn't that mean Sylvia's the fifth Signer?"

"Well, maybe," Luna mumbled. "But the Signer marks we saw on the Signers of ancient past were different. Almost all of us matched. Sylvia was the one who didn't."

"You sure? It could've just been a trick of the light--there was a lot of it, y'know," Tanner said, still wheeling Yusei's Runner. It was kind of a joke, meant in a lighthearted manner, but no one was laughing.

"No, I'm certain," Luna said. "But... Sylvia's mark wasn't there. Akiza has a claw and I have a claw. But Sylvia has this... weird double-hook-looking thing. It wasn't there."