30. Missing In Action

Aman got up from his seat and without sparing a glance at any of them, walked out of the house. His face wore a mask of composure but there was a fire raging inside him, the anguish visible in his troubled blue eyes. His pace was even and his steps measured but his walk; directionless. One look at him and Sandy realised that he was not in a position to go out on his own. She rushed after him and tried to call out to him but Prasanna stopped her.

"Let him be. He needs to process a lot. Give him some time..." He said, gently pulling her inside.

"But Appa..." She persisted.

"Trust me, Soundarya, there are certain things we can't help him with. He needs space and time to cope up with his pain. There's only so much that we can do, my child."

"Sharing will lessen his pain. He needs to share. He needs to let it all out." She argued.

"He will share."

"How? He is going out. He is shutting me out. He... he is... going away from me... from us!" she exclaimed.

"He needs to acknowledge before he can understand and share his emotions with someone else. You need to back down. Trust me, you will only push him away if you cling on to him like this." Prasanna explained patiently.

"But... but where is he going? He is not in his right senses. Didn't you look at him? What if something happens to him? What if he doesn't come back?" She was freaking out at his abrupt exit.

"He will come back when he has calmed down. Once he is able to think clearly, he will come back to us."

"Appa..."

"He will be fine."

"Don't you know how reckless he is? Have you forgotten all the times he has had an argument with you and stormed out like that? He has always ended up in dire circumstances."

"He is reckless but he is not irresponsible. Didn't he come back for you, even after the verbal spat that we had the night before? Don't worry. He won't put himself in danger this time."

Sandy could only stare at the doorway from where Aman had walked out a few moments ago. "How can you be so sure?"

"If he is his father's son and if I have raised him to be a true man, he will stay out of trouble; especially after knowing everything about his past and what we have been through as a family. And I am sure, he will never ever desert us. Just give him some time, will you?" He gave her a reassuring smile and she calmed down a bit. Her mind was still not at peace but she managed to look convinced for her father's sake.

"You must be tired. You should get some sleep before he comes back. How will you be able to take care of him if you are yourself so tired and worn out?" Prasanna said, smiling at his daughter.

"Even you are tired. You have been talking nonstop for the whole night. Why don't you relax? I will bring you coffee and breakfast." Sandy asked her father.

"I was thinking of going to the diner in a while. It seems like ages since the last time I set foot in Katti Appa's Kitchen." Prasanna said. When his daughter gave a worried look, he added, "Don't worry. I will be fine. I won't stay for long. Will try to be back in some time."

"But why do you need to go. Of all the times, now when Aman needs you around... and Manju is there. He is managing quite well."

"I know he is managing well but end of the day, it's our business. We cannot neglect it forever."

"And when Aman gets back home..."

"I promise I'll be back before he returns." He assured her and went to his room to get ready.