4. Two Is Company

Never had she walked out on him like that. In hind sight, he had never said anything offending. They always cracked jokes, had fun at the expense of one another but in all probability, this one time, he had overstepped his boundary as a friend. The moment Aman realized he might have hurt his friend, he rushed after her.

"Hey! Sandy! Wait. I didn't mean to offend you. I am sorry."

"Don't be. I am perfectly okay." She replied rather curtly.

"you are fine?"

"Perfectly."

"then why are you running away?"

"you might not have noticed, but I am merely walking at a brisk pace."

"It's the same as running!"

"You don't even Know how to differentiate between walking and running? That's not expected from a marathon runner. Especially when you have two triathlon championships under you belt!" Sandy retorted back.

Aman followed her at a brisk pace and at the cost of sounding almost pleading, he called out... "Slow down, will you?"

"I can't." Sandy shot back.

"Why?" Exasperated, he asked.

"because I am hungry. I am off to find some food." She slowed down for a nanosecond, glanced in his direction once and added, "You may tag along if you wish too."

**************

Three hours after setting foot in Madikeri, Aman found himself back on the highway. Sandy had decided to have her lunch at a small road side dhaba near the highway on the outskirts of the town. She had literally marched passed through the entire town and the big varying sizes of eateries, both in terms of their seating capacity and the variety of food available; on the way to this lonely place. So much for being hungry, that it took her one and three quarters of an hour to reach her destination on foot.

He had decided to tag along after all. There was hardly anything else to be done, once you end up rubbing your best friend on the wrong side, other than to just comply with their wishes. It was not just about the lame jokes that he had cracked at her expense. Aman knew that about her. Sandy was forgiving and she had gotten over it the moment he had apologized. It was about the one and half years of absence that he had to make up for. His course work, extra-curricular activities, projects and social work had kept him away from home, from her, for a long time. This time he had to work extra hard to pacify her because he had actually promised not to remain absconding for more than necessary. At the end of every term, she had expected him to come back and spend time with her. Of course, what she had told him was, that he had to check on his uncle from time to time and that it was not very wise to stay away from family for so long. Well, she had almost meant it or so she convinced herself. But Aman knew his best friend and comrade like his own second skin. She was privy to his bittersweet relationship with his uncle and he knew that she didn't expect either of the men to take care of each other or show the slightest of affection in regard of the other.

The waiter cum cleaner arrived to take their order and she gave hers. She ordered a Mysore masala dosa and a cup of coffee. When the waiter turned towards Aman, he followed suit with the "same as hers" order.

Sandy merely raised an eyebrow to which he replied, "You don't expect me to have the north Indian meal when I have just arrived from there, do you? It's time to go local!"

She averted his gaze and instead trained her eyes on the scenery outside the dhaba, which was something, if you happen to like a plain wide road with all sorts of vehicles zooming past, leaving behind a tornado of dust and hot air in the afternoon dry heat.

Aman cleared his throat and hesitantly asked, "So, how is life these days?"

She shifted her gaze back to him and asked," You mean apart from the one that I spend at the diner?"

He merely nodded.

"There's hardly any time left to live my life when Appa is done for the day. So, nothing much to add value to the one I have."

"Why don't you take leave from time to time?" He asked tentatively.

"And do what? There's hardly anything left to do after mom passed away a year ago..."

"I should have been there..."

"I know you would have come. But your exams were important."

"If you had not ordered me to top the class, I would've been here... with you."

"And done what? You wouldn't have been able to save mom anyways. She was dying for the past 3 years."

"Still...I could have been with you."

"You wouldn't have reached on time. They took her to the crematorium directly from the hospital. They don't delay last rites for cancer patients."

"I know..."

Sandy continued looking out and he took that opportunity to study the fine creases on her forehead that had not been there when he had last seen her. Silence prevailed for an eternity... a comfortable silence. They had known each other forever and knew how to read each other's silent thoughts. At last, the waiter brought in their food. They ate in silence, both contemplating how best to make up for the lost time.

.........................................

Hi there! My sincere apologies for updating later than usual. Now before you take out your heavy machinery and start firing at me,  I offer you a double update as a truce. So, my dear reader, kindly scroll over to the next chapter!