26. A timeless Tale

"We travelled light. Clothes, certificates, and cash. We were young and reckless but not without foresight or common sense. We knew very well that Goa was going to be a costly affair. So, we decided to stay put and try our luck at jobs only for a month. We were totally prepared to move to a different city if nothing worked out. After all, we were two undergraduates without a financial or social backing. Who would take us seriously?

Home stays, shabby motels, foot paths... we tasted everything right in the beginning of our real life. I won't call it a struggle. We were learning life lessons every day. We had brought it upon ourselves and we embraced it whole heartedly. Never once did your mother complain and I never regretted leaving everything behind for her. She wanted me to revert back to my original name, but I refused. For me, the bridge was already burnt down. I was at a point of no return and I committed to living up to my decision for the rest of my life."

He paused for a moment and looked at his children in front of him. his daughter was regarding him with awe and Aman had an understanding smile on his face. Finally, thought Prasanna. Finally, he had regained that lost respect and trust in Aman's eyes.

"Is that why Amma always celebrated Christmas with such enthusiasm? Because it was your festival?" Sandy asked, entranced.

"Probably, it was her way of showing how much that decision meant to her." Aman added in a soft voice. Prasanna smiled at the fond memories and continued...

"Daily commuting and job search took a heavy dent into our pockets. Our cash reserve was depleting fast and there was practically no cash inflow. Towards the end of the month, I started walking on foot from one interview to another. Shanti took up a maid's job in a nearby affluent society. She was slogging in the kind of villas that she had grown up in.

It was during one of my on-foot journeys, that I came across an advertisement for live-in caretakers for a resale property. The owner was new and didn't intend to stay for long in the city. We both went to see if we could stand a chance."

Prasanna looked at Aman and continued, "It was there, that we met your father for the first time. He seemed our age... a little older, perhaps. He didn't look like any older that us, but he definitely acted like a wise man, older than his true age. He was very kind to the lost souls that we were in those days. His simplicity and humility touched a chord somewhere deep in our hearts. Abhay sir was so compassionate and he readily believed our story. I think, because we were straight forward and truthful, he didn't hesitate to hire us.

Our life improved dramatically. We were supposed to be only caretakers but there was no supervision. Your father made in quite clear that we were to treat the house or rather mansion as our own and take care of it well. He intended to come down to the place only once or twice a year during holiday season. It was he, who encouraged us to enrol for our bachelor's degree, all expenses paid. From your mother's perspective, it would have been taking undue advantage of his generosity. Hence, it was agreed that he would only share half the fee. Rest would be from our salaries.

We completed our graduation and our master always treated us as his equals, as friends. Life was so good, it was hard to believe at first! We thrived and so did he. In time, he got married to a family friend of his. It was an arranged marriage, as far as I remember. We got to meet her only after the wedding, when they came down to Goa on their honeymoon. A very kind-hearted and gentle lady, she was- your mother."

Prasanna glanced at Aman and found his eyes glued to the book cover on the table. But he was listening intently, to what Prasanna had to say. "Didn't have that air of entitlement around her. She complimented your father perfectly. Bonded well with us. Before we knew, both the ladies had become best of friends and confidants.