22. A Few Adjustments

Prasanna found him slumped in the chair. Tired and worn out, Aman was spread on the chair with his feet outstretched and his head resting on the wall behind the chair. For the outside world, he might just have been asleep. But Prasanna knew him better than the rest of the world. In all likelihood, Aman was reflecting on the story of his life. His face was set in deep concentration and he was contemplating his next plan of action. Prasanna feared he might get away from them again. The last thing Prasanna ever wanted was for Aman to go down the path that led to his origin.

"Hey!" Prasanna greeted him, cautiously.

"Hi!" Aman replied, with a faint smile.

"I thought you went to see the doctor." Prasanna said, carefully trying to use words around the young man. "But you are here."

"Umm... yeah. I met the head nurse at her station. She said the doctor is due to come for his round in an hour's time. We will get to know then."

"Okay... I guess we will have to wait for him then." As an afterthought, Prasanna added, "You could have come in, you know. Soundarya was worried for you."

"Why?" Aman asked, sounding more alert now.

"Uh, you know her. She is perennially worried for you. I think she is a bit shaken after whatever has happened since yesterday. She just needs her best friend around. She feels a lot safer with you."

"She is anything but safe with me." Aman mumbled under his breath.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, really."

"I didn't hear you the first time."

"Trust me. It's nothing significant. Really." Aman replied guardedly. "Shall we go in?"

"You can go in." Prasanna replied casually. "Since the doctor will take his own sweet time, we would better have something for lunch. I will go and see what can be arranged."

"Shall I get something from the canteen? It's just the next building over there..."

"It's okay. I will manage. You go and stay with her. She is pretty bored after being enforced to stay in my company for the past half an hour."

"If you say so..."

Prasanna waited till Aman walked into the room and then himself continued towards the canteen.

Aman was lost in his own thoughts and almost missed hearing when Sandy said, "About time you showed up. I was almost certain you had left again."

"Why would I leave?" He replied, distracted.

"Well, that's something you should ask your own twisted brain for the record." She replied dryly. "You keep taking off at the hint of a mere scuffle. And you had such a nasty altercation with that stupid goon this morning. As if that was not enough, you had a huge revelation of sorts some time ago. Enough provocation to make you run away, I guess."

"I don't run away from situations, Sandy. I tackle them head on." He replied with conviction.

"Yeah, yeah. You can handle any situation. It is just people you try to avoid, no?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would you say that?" He shrugged.

"Didn't you behave in exactly the same way yesterday?" She pressed on. "You walked out on us."

"Yeah... I did." He replied. "But I am here now. I was not running away from you, Sandy. And I never will. You, of all people should know that. I am never going to dessert you. Not in this life time."