28. Memoirs...

"Your father was such a nice person, all intelligent and fearless. Your mother loved addressing him as 'My peerless hero'. I wonder how can someone hold any grudge against such a bright and helpful person."

"May be that, was his undoing? Him being nice and helpful. It might not have gone well with a few crooked minds." Sandy commented.

"I doubt that. He never once mentioned any problems in business or any kind of animosity. He diligently avoided getting into arguments or squabbles. I saw him getting angry only on two occasions, as far as I can remember. Once when his cousin or nephew- I don't remember who exactly- ended up eloping with your mother's sister when she was still a minor and another time, when a random lady in the market wanted to know the gender of the child Asha tai was carrying. Other than that, he was always a saint."

"You are saying that because he had been nice to you." Aman commented.

"That's not it. He was nice with everyone around him- be it us or the beggar across the street or the workers at his factory... everyone was a die-hard fan of your father. In fact, both of them were so humble and sweet that Shanti sometimes feared that they would be taken for a ride."

"Amma cared for them." Aman said, longingly.

"She did. But she needn't. they were simple, not simpletons. Your father was very sharp. He kept all the trouble makers at bay."

"And yet, something went wrong..." Aman said.

"Terribly wrong." Sandy finished his sentence. "What could go so wrong, that someone conspired to take his life?"

"It all started the time when they came for holiday the last time. Whenever they arrived, they would always be in high spirits. The jovial atmosphere at home was infectious. That one month was something we always looked forward to, every year. The last time they arrived, we thought they would stay for a month as usual and planned accordingly. But the minute they arrived; your father announced that they would be staying indefinitely long. The cheerful vibes were missing this time.

We didn't think much of it, since your mother was already four months pregnant and mood swings and dull phases were common during that phase. Or so we thought at that time. Abhay sir had a few pending assignments and workshops to attend. So, naturally, Asha tai was left in our care as he carried on with his work and extensive travelling. He was always reachable though. He would make sure to call from whichever place he stayed in and let his whereabouts and contact details known.

In time, we got to know that Shanti was also expecting a baby." Prasanna looked at his daughter lovingly and said, "You, were on your way and we were elated. Obviously, your mother gave all the credit to this fellow over here; who, incidentally was not even born." He said, pointing at Aman. "Something to do with being the messenger of good luck and what not!"

Aman couldn't help but smile fondly as he remembered Shanti Amma fussing over him. He had missed her ever since he moved to the hostel at BHU. Now that he was back, she was gone- forever. His eyes became distant and the only thing that brought him back to the present was the slight pressure on his palm. Sandy was still holding his hand. Her presence besides him brought him back from the past memories and he realised how important she was for him. She was like an anchor for him.

Oblivious to his state of mind, Prasanna continued with his recount of the days from past. "Once he got the news that there were two ladies to be taken care of, your father cut down on his travels and preferred staying home with us. He was dutiful and obedient to the fault when it came to the household chores. Even though he was at home, he didn't let his work suffer. He managed everything from home. He frequently called his brother too. Apparently they were concerned about Asha tai's health and wanted her to come back home but he flatly refused. Once I overheard him saying that he wanted his wife and unborn child to stay away from negativity."