21. In The Line Of Fire

There was a deafening silence that followed Prasanna's admission.

"You?" Sandy asked taken aback. Then, ever so slowly, she spoke "...are my... father? The one who never turned up?"

"Yes, my child." Prasanna replied in a small voice, longingly gazing at his daughter.

"Don't say that." She snapped at him.

"Say what?" Prasanna said, confused and taken aback.

"Don't call me a child. I am not a child. Not anymore... and definitely not yours."

"But you are!"

"Really? You think so?" She said, in mock surprise. "How come I didn't know that?"

"I am sorry!"

"For what, pray tell." She said, sarcastically. "You are after all, the great Mr. Prasanna Katti. The owner and be all of Katti Appa's Kitchen! How can you be wrong? If anything, it's us mortals who should be sorry, for we must have erred in some way to cause you to keep this a secret." She ranted. "Tell me... did you not like your own daughter? Or were you disappointed that you had a daughter and not a son? Or was it my mother? Did you take your frustrations out on her as well? Did you get rid of her for giving birth to a daughter? Is that why you left us? You know, you can admit the truth now. Many people do this even nowadays. They don't want to raise daughters. I won't feel about you any differently than what I already do."

"You think I could have done that?" He asked, hurt by all the accusations thrown his way.

"You are capable of doing just about anything. And to think Amma was proud of her husband! Were you even married to my mother? Was she really your wife or am I assuming again?"

"Sandy! Don't say anything you might regret." Aman interfered.

"It's okay, Aman. I deserve it. Soundarya has every right to be upset with me." Prasanna said calmly.

"And to think I was sorry that I hurt him. He has in fact hurt me and my mother." Sandy said in a hurt tone, as she addressed Aman. "He was never a part of our lives. He was never around..."

"I was right across the street!" Prasanna wailed.

"Up." Interjected Aman.

"Huh?" Prasanna gave him a blank stare.

"You mean to say, you lived up the street." Aman clarified.

"How does that make any difference?" Asked Sandy, as she rolled her eyes in exasperation.

"Just getting the geography right." Aman shrugged.

"I am more concerned about my history here, if you don't mind." She said, raising an eyebrow at Aman.

"And you can't understand It, if you don't have the facts with you." Aman pointed out.

"The facts are all staring you right in the eye. He shied away from his responsibility! What else do you need to know? And to think Amma was proud of him and his duties!" Sandy was shouting more that talking.

"I did no such thing. I did contribute financially. Why would I have done that if I wanted to avoid my responsibility?" Prasanna argued his case.

"To cover up your mistake?" She asked him, pointing at her own self.

"You are not a mistake! Your mother was the love of my life. My lawfully wedded wife! Why would I not take responsibility of the both of you?" Prasanna argued.

"That is exactly what I am asking you and you need to answer." Sandy said.

"I am willing to answer only if you are willing to listen." Prasanna pleaded with her. "You need to stop hurling abuses at me and don't analyse my relationship status with my wife. Please try to listen for once. Hear me out and then you can decide whether you want me as your father or not. But the fact remains that I am your father and I have always loved you. You are more precious than my own life to me."