Chapter six: meaningful glances

Delilah 

chatter and buzz circulated the lively ballroom . I stood in the corner , trying not to take up space and tilted my head upwards , greeted by angelic , decadent artwork and a intricate chandelier i diverted my gaze across the room to the marble staircase , around this time of night collete would usually make a grand entrance and ,understandably , Amaze all the guests with her poise and beauty . There she was , slowly walking down the stairs , the long train of her luxurious  red,  velvet gown trailing behind her , her soft strawberry blonde hair fell effortlessly over her shoulders , lovely longing blue eyes scanned the room , as they met mine she noticed i was fixated on her , she smirked at me , halfway down the grand staircase , and the crowds of people became an ignignificant obstacle as we were consumed by intense eye contact . This passionate moment was broken as we both observed that William was stood at the bottom of the stairs , waiting with an extended arm offerd to Collete . She bought her eyes back to mine once again and smiled over His shoulder  her tired smile told me she would rather be anywhere else than this lively gathering . I watched as she elegantly strolled through crowds of people , putting forward friendly smiles as various many people congratulated her and william on this engagement . It was instances like these that filled me unbridled jealousy .                                               

   Collete

 I quickly peered over at Delilah before the dance began , Her shimmering eyes were lost in their own universe of deep thought as her hands fumbeld anxiously but stopped instantly when she realised i was smiling at her  . I was forced to take my eyes off her when i realised that the lively , dramatic music was picking up tempo , i had to dance . as i stumbled carelessly , i blushed and observed that Delilah was focused on my embarrassed face with a agragant , impressive grin , this only further flushed by face until i could feel my entire face decend into a roaring red fire . I looked back at Delilah , mouthing "help" over williams shoulder as we both quietly giggled to eachother from across the room  . Eventually william removed his arms from around me as the music slowed down , he smiled at me , i forced a smile back which must have been obvious as he look comically confused , i sighed and walked away  without justifying why i wasn't leaving him . i was tired of his conversation . He irritated me  , even if he had been just a friend, he would still irritate me  , i couldn't possibly comprehend  our the extent of our immature bickering once we were married , i thought to myself as i passed across the ballroom . I looked back and felt relived as i saw william deep in ,what apperd to be, polite small talk  with another young man . I gently pushed my way through the crowds . once i was standing in front of her it dawned on me that this was the first time we had not been consumed by some kind of conflict  ,  we dove head first   into deep waters without being prepared to be pulled under , we struggled to swim to the surface at first , but once we got there it was wonderfully calm  . Alice was making her way towards us , we both moved slightly further away from each other , Alice may have only been twelve but she was highly intelligent and i wanted to avoid her developing any suspicions about that nature of mine and Delilahs relashonship "you're supposed to be working" she told Delilah . i raised my eyebrows authorativley at her high was enough to make her turn around and leave us alone . As her intising eyes met mine i grabbed Delilahs hand , of course looking around first to see if anyone was watching , which they weren't , i pushed eagerly through the crowd and Delilah followed ,   music and conversation slowly fading into a muffled buzz as we stepped into the poring rain , Delilah smiled up at the sky and took my other hand , still smiling she tucked my hair , which was already soaked by the heavy rain , behind my ear and i gentley pulled her closer to me , our smiling faces almost touching as we stood in the cold crisp nighttime air .  suddenly , Delilah swivelled her head to the side . william stood there , confused and dazzeled "what are you doing?" he asked as my heart nervously pounded .                                                                "nothing" i said ,stepping away from delilah as she shook her head rapidly in agreement , i had spoke almost too quickly to fool him but i thought i may have just about done it   .                                    "right then um well" he said arkwardly as he took my arm . as we strolled back inside i looked over my shoulder at delilah , who was still standing there , we looked at eachother with mischief as we tried to contain our laughter .   The rest of the ball dragged on , its only notable moments were many stolen glances across the ballroom from me and Delilah . when everyone eventually wen home i wanted to search for collete but my father sat downstairs reading by candlelight for many more hour and i couldn't risk trying to sneak around so i decided i would see her tomorrow morning instead.