Chapter 35: Infinity Mirror

15 MINUTES AGO...

Y/N P.O.V.

Okay. Drowning in a sea of echoes given to my by a seal I collected for my friend.

Whoever this is, they'd better hurry the hell up. Kurumu may be in danger, and I can't afford to waste any more time.

The fog clears, and I can recognize the scenery around me. The exit from the tunnel I took from Yokai Academy. Looking off into the distance, I notice Issa's castle in the background further down the road. 

(Y/N) - How long ago was this?

(Outer Moka) - A little over a week and a half ago.

I immediately pivot on my heels after hearing the familiar voice. She's here. I don't know how, but she's here.

(Outer Moka) - Surprised?

Smiling at the sight of my friend, I loose my reply.

(Y/N) - Pleasantly. But we can exchange pleasantries when we have you back in reality. You said this happened about a week and a half ago?

(Outer Moka) - A little over that, but yes. My seal was in possession of my older sister at the time.

(Y/N) - Akua or Kahlua?

(Outer Moka) - Kahlua.

All of a sudden, a loud creaking can be heard from the opening, and Marcus exits the technicolor tunnel. His body appears severely rusted since our last meeting, and each of his steps is heavy enough to leave a print in the ground.

(Y/N) - What the hell?

(Outer Moka) - What? What is it?

(Y/N) - I knew his body was experimental, but I didn't expect this! He did say that he was on a time limit back on Bracca, but I didn't expect him to mean this!

(Outer Moka) - Yeah... it's a bit frightening. It's only been a few months since we last saw him, but he's already beginning to fall apart...

Marcus briefly meets Kahlua, before being knocked out, and everything goes dark. When the scenery fades back in again, we're in a decorated bedroom. Each decoration is ornate and fancy.

Marcus lies in the bed, his body no longer looking rusted, rather looking as if it was recently polished and shined.

(Y/N) - Whose bedroom is this?

(Moka) - It's Kahlua's room. I have no idea what happened in the four days that came before this, but this was a week ago.

(Y/N) - A fancy room for a hardened killer. She'd get along great with Sister Phantasma.

(Outer Moka) - Who? 

(Y/N) - One of the bitchy coworkers I mentioned during the ski trip.

(Outer Moka) - Oh.

Marcus springs from the bed, and Akua descends from the ceiling. They have a conversation before leaving the room. So that's how they did it. They're using magic to keep his body in working order. The scene fades to black, before immediately reappearing in the throne room where Issa and I had our duel.

(Y/N) - Hey, I kicked your dad's ass here.

(Outer Moka) - I know. I was there.

Marcus's conversation with Issa carries on, and the scene fades to black again, before appearing in a dimly lit room. Only Marcus and Issa are in the room, and mystic runes illuminate the floor.

(Y/N) - What's going on?

(Outer Moka) - Marcus... he wanted to explain something to you. Something he didn't know how to explain to you before, and something he believed was for you and you alone. But since he's approaching death at an accelerating speed whether or not he wants to, he had to settle.