Parlay

Avery's POV

"Avery, wake up!" a boyish voice called, shaking her awake.

"What? Did the smoke signal work?" she muttered. Avery did not open her eyes but rolled over, not wishing to end her dream just yet. But when she placed her hand upon the ground, it was not the soft sand she had expected but hard wood. She opened her eyes to see four people staring down at her. Behind them, a pink sky. She sat up very quickly to see that they were on a pirate's ship with black sails. They were somehow on the Black Pearl.

"Uh yeah." Peter said, "I'd say it worked pretty well." He was sitting next to her against the side of the ship as the four people, and the crew behind them, had Peter and Avery cornered. But Avery recognized these people. One was a very pretty woman with long, light brown hair and plump lips. She wore a man's pirate outfit. Next to her was a man in a muddy blue uniform with straggly brown hair. He stood by an older, rounder man with greying hair and a bottle in his right hand. Avery recognized these three people to be Elizabeth Swann, James Norrington, and Mr. Gibbs. But the closest person to them was unmistakably-

"Jack Sparrow," Avery said, barely able to speak.

"Captain." corrected Elizabeth, Gibbs, and Jack all at once.

"Captain Jack Sparrow," Jack repeated. He appeared just as he did in the films with long, dark dreads and a braided beard adorned with beads. His brown eyes were accented with charcoal liner on the bottom lash line and he wore a red bandana. He smelt of sweat and alcohol.

"Who are you and what the bloody hell are you wearing?" he asked, quirky swagger exuding from him with every word and motion. Avery looked at her and Peter's modern-day clothing which truly made them look like fish out of water in the 18th century Caribbean.

"I'm Avery and this Peter," Avery said. Peter stood and helped Avery up as well.

"We're looking for a Wand," Peter said.

"Alright then," Jack said bluntly. He then turned to his crew and pointed at Avery and Peter. Within seconds, a few burly crew members had taken them by the arms and led them over to a plank hanging over the ocean from the ship.

"What are you doing?!" Avery exclaimed, trying to break the pirate's hold on her along with Peter.

"I'm a bit busy, love." Jack replied, nonchalantly, "Chasing after a chest, you see. So I can't be bothered with two small humans at the moment. So if you'll kindly get off my ship."

"Jack," Elizabeth said, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes at him.

"Why did you rescue us if you were just going to throw us back overboard?" Peter exclaimed.

Jack sighed and turned back to them, "Thought you might know something about the chest but seeing as you're after something completely unrelated, I take it back. I am now unsaving you." The pirate holding Peter let go out of him and pushed him out onto the wooden plank.

"Jack, they're children." Elizabeth argued, "You can't just leave them to die."

"And what do you think happens if they come with us?" Norrington said to her. As they were talking, Peter hopped on the plank high enough where he could do a backflip back onto the ship and kick the pirate who had held him. Even out of his universe, Peter was still very athletic and nimble.

This move confused the burly pirated holding Avery and she was able to release herself from his hold. Peter had stolen the sword from his captor and was now holding it to the pirate's throat as leverage. Jack, Gibbs, and the rest of the crew drew their swords and aimed them at Peter. Avery was very overwhelmed with this stand-off knowing that Jack and his crew were the good guys. She took a deep breath and stood between Peter and the crew, holding her hands out.