The Long Night

Carter's POV

WINTERFELL

            Once they had reached Winterfell, the dragons knew exactly where to go. Daenerys was like a homing beacon for them and the dragons began their descent toward the castle courtyard. From the sky, Carter got a good glimpse of the large castle complex blanketed in white snow. There was a large wall surrounding the gloomy home of the Starks and from his height, the people down below looked like ants. There was a burst of orange amidst the grey and white that came from a tree unfazed by winter. It was surrounded by a multitude of other trees surrounding a frozen-over pond.

            As they got closer to the courtyard ground, Carter could see some familiar faces in the growing crowd. Daenerys' eyes lit up when she saw her children (the dragons) and she stood next to Tyrion who locked eyes with Carter as they landed. Sansa, Jon, Arya, and Bran emerged from the castle, their eyes glued to the enormous winged creatures. Arya had a smirk on her face when she noticed Carter. Evidently, they still remembered him, meaning that their universe had not reset.

"My dragons! You've returned!" Dany cried once they had landed. Sam, Carter, Quill, and Lena all hopped off as Dany stroked the black dragon's face, looking at it lovingly. "Bring them to their knees." She demanded, turning to the four outsiders. She then hopped on the black dragon and Carter and the others were pushed down by various soldiers so that they were indeed on their knees. Looking up, Carter's view was of the black dragon's smokey mouth and Dany peeking out from on top of him. The crowd that surrounded them took several steps back.

"Explain yourself." Daenerys hissed with piercing violet eyes. 

"Er

"Er...we found your dragons and have returned them to you," Carter said. He looked over to Lena, who was shivering from the cold.

"You just...found them?" Daenerys echoed unconvinced.

"It's a long story," said Sam.

"Let's begin with how you escaped the dungeon with the doors still locked." Daenerys quizzed Carter.

"Yeah, I don't really have a good answer for that," Carter replied honestly.

            "Look lady," began Quill, standing up. The soldiers around him shifted, reading to strike if he did anything stupid.

"I don't really see what the problem here is." Quill continued, "Sounds to me like you were missing your dragons and we returned them to you. So if anything, you should be thanking us."

"Thanking you?" Daenerys raised an eyebrow, looking down on him with contempt, "I wouldn't need them returned had they not been stolen from me! Kingslayer!" In a split second, Jamie had been thrown out from the crowd, on his knees next to Carter. He looked significantly worse than when Carter had last seen him. There was dried blood around his now crooked nose and he had a fat lip.