Misfortune

I took away their freedom. Rather, I didn't really have a choice in the matter, and neither will they.

"In the eyes of the world, all of you are as good as dead. No, you must be."

For the sake of the world, that is.

"This is..."

"Silence."

With a remorseless whip across the face with her chains, Lily displayed a show of force to put my newfound prisoners in their place.

"Your new mistress is talking. Do well to keep quiet, or I will take your voice. Permanently."

I shrugged, "It is what it is. There's no changing anything. Don't expect any help to come for you, nobody searches for the missing in this city. My advice? You listen to what I have to say, and make the best out of your current situation...as terrible as it is."

"As I was saying, the lot of you are as good as dead. Accept that, and we'll all have a good time. So, here's some simple rules."

Ignoring the absurdities that was coming out of my mouth, I continued, "Firstly, I expect absolute obedience. If I ask you to sit, you sit. If I ask you to pick up a blade and cut your fingers, you do so. You will...no, you must be loyal to me. No matter through fear or terror, you will obey me. Understand? No? Well, I don't care. You will learn."

"Secondly, I will at least ensure your basic necessities are met. Food, clothing, shelter, and hygiene. I will provide the basics, but don't expect anything more. You will live, but you may not truly 'live'. However, in my eyes, that is enough. I care not for the additional details."

"Thirdly, I may use some of you in...experiments of mine. I don't expect them to be comfortable, and neither should you. There might be some unwanted side effects, perhaps in the form of disfiguration on the lighter scale of things, or major alterations to your very being on the serious side of things. But worry not! You do not have a life left to be concerned by such things."

"M-monster..." a terrified young girl trembled at my words.

I could only muster a twisted laughter that sent all of them huddling together. Truly, the villainess natural deposition was towards committing unspeakable evils.

"If you truly consider me as evil, then you should gaze upon the cruelty of those who subjected me to this sick joke of a world," I muttered bitterly.

"Well then, my little toys," I did a heel turn with a cheerful hop. "I wish you all a pleasant stay here."

Crying, sobbing, and yelling were all drowned out as Lily shut the door that was sound proofed by magic. It was enough to break a person, being confined like that, but I hope they will find solace in each other. They will need the bonds they will forge in that place, as the day that they will be freed will eventually arrive. When I would be trialed as a sinner, they will eventually walk the world once more, but entirely broken. At the very least, I hope they will rely on each other.

I say such things, yet I knew it was for a selfish reason. The world must see Elizabeth Bathory as an evil several years later. As such, these children were merely convenient sacrifices to paint that image.

"..."

"Is something on your mind, my lady?"

I stopped walking, pausing mid step in the hallway of the lonely estate, "Say, Lily. If I were to become an evil of humanity, what would you do?"

I already knew the answer to that. Even so, I wanted to see if this madness was seen as what it truly was by the people of this world.

"If you were to be viewed as evil by the world, then the world is wrong. If your actions were to be deemed sinful, then the world must correct themselves."