Chapter 9: The Village

The farmers exchanged grins. I couldn't help but smile, glad he changed his mind. I helped them grab crates, putting them in the cart. Faven was surprised that we hadn't left the planet.

"We're staying?" Faven inquired, making her way towards the cart with the child in her arms.

"Yes, we just need to fix a small problem." I informed her.

Faven smiled, happy to be staying here. The child let out a coo as they both climbed up onto the cart. Once we loaded everything on the cart, Mando turned to the farmers. "I'm gonna need one more thing. Give me those credits."

As soon as Mando found Cara, he handed her the bag of credits and she came along with us. So now Mando, Cara, the child, Faven, and I all laid in the back of the cart with the two farmers up in the front.

"So we're basically running off a band of raiders for lunch money?" Cara inquired.

"They're quartering us in the middle of nowhere. Last I checked, that's a pretty square deal for somebody in your position. Worst case scenario, you tune up your blaster. Best case, we're a deterrent." Mando mentioned. "I can't imagine there's anything living in these dreams that an ex-shock trooper and a pirate couldn't handle."

I glanced over at Cara, hesitant to work with an ex-shock trooper. I hadn't worked with the Rebellion in several years. This was definitely gonna be interesting. I looked up at the night sky, glancing around at the beautiful stars. I felt myself slowly drifting to sleep as I listened to the crickets all around us.

•••

"We're pirates not mercenaries for hire." Waylon muttered.

I looked around seeing humans dressed in elegant dresses and suits. We were inside the Coruscant Opera house. Everyone stared at us. I could see them whispering to one another, no doubt talking about us. Mother glanced over Waylon. She whispered so only Waylon and I would hear.

"Please Waylon, don't start. Not here." She urged.

A man dressed in an Imperial officer uniform approached us. "I'd like to speak to the Captain."

Before mom could respond, Aeron spoke up with a smile. "I am the Captain."

"You're not the Captain!" I blurted out.

Aeron and the Imperial officer both turned to look down at me. They stared at me with icy piercing looks.

"I'm sorry-" Aeron began.

The Imperial officer cut him off. "That's quite all right."

The officer then looked down at me. "Well, well, what have we here? A Pantoran who doesn't know her place. Perhaps she needs a bit of discipline."

The officer raised a hand clenched up in the air. My eyes widened. Mom intervened, getting in his way. "She's just a child."

"Then maybe you shouldn't have brought her here on this job." The Imperial officer shot back.

My eyes fluttered open before I slowly moved around, looking to see children surrounding the cart. I noticed Faven was already out of the cart, talking to the other children with a smile. Many of the children stared at the little child in fascination and awe.

"Well, looks like they're happy to see us." Mando mentioned.

"Looks like." Cara agreed.

With that, we climbed out of the cart, grabbing our belongings. I turned around, taking in the sight of the village. There were round homes made of wood along with small pristine lakes and dark green grass, where tools stood along with wooden baskets and an astromech.