Chapter 21: Returning To Nevarro

Mando immediately rushed towards the child. "No! No, no! Stop! We're friends, we're friends. Cara is my friend!"

As soon as Mando gently grabbed the child from his pod, the child released Cara. She was then able to breathe again, letting out a gasp. I remained quiet, not sure how he learned that ability.

"That is not okay!" Cara snapped.

"Hmm. Very curious." Kuiil commented.

"Curious? It almost killed me!" Cara exclaimed.

"The story you told me of the mudhorn now makes more sense." Kuiil mentioned, glancing over at Mando.

"What is it?" Mando asked.

I grew uneasy. No one here but me knew what the child was, and I hadn't exactly told Mando everything. I glanced over at Faven, knowing she wanted to say something, but she looked over at me. I immediately shook my head. Fortunately, Faven listened, keeping her mouth closed.

"What it is, I don't know. But what it does, this...This I've heard rumors of." Kuiil stated.

"What? When you worked for the Empire?" Cara retorted.

"When I was sold to the Empire, in indentured servitude." Kuiil shot back.

"Yet somehow, you walk free." Cara rebuked.

I immediately made my way towards them, standing in between Cara and Kuiil. "You have no idea what Kuiil's been through."

Cara raised an eyebrow. "And you do? What, are you also Imperial?"

"Don't you dare bring Kamaria into this. She's never been involved with the Empire. And I bought my freedom through the skill of my hands and the labor of three of your human lifetimes. Do not cast doubt upon that of what I am nor whom I shall serve." Kuiil warned.

"Tell you what. I could really use your craftwork right now." Mando intervened, changing the subject. He grabbed the pod of the child before handing it to Kuiil. "Can you pad this container so the child can sleep better?"

"I shall fabricate a better one. Then perhaps this Dropper can see how one can win their freedom with the skill of one's hands." Kuiil quipped.

Kuiil glanced over at me, giving me a small smile, grateful for having his back. I returned his smile with a nod. As Kuiil worked on the child's pod in the cargo hold, Cara, Mando, Faven, and I returned to the cockpit. I grimaced, thinking back of the plan. What if something goes wrong? I fiddled with my necklace, feeling anxious.

"So, we're going to Nevarro?" Cara questioned, interrupting my thoughts.

"Have you ever been?" Mando asked.

"No. We lost a lot of our forces there. The city's dug in pretty deep. No cover when you drop in. It stayed in Empire control till the end of the war." Cara explained.

"The warlord we're taking out was an Imperial officer." Mando informed her.

"What station?" Cara inquired.

"Hard to tell. No insignia anymore. I took out the safehouse when I snatched the kid. More Imps have reinforced since." Mando clarified.

"There's something more going on." Cara stated.

"Maybe. We'll find out more when we land." Mando mentioned.

At that moment, the assassin droid, IG-11, walked into the cockpit. He remained at the door of the cockpit as he announced. "I have prepared second meal. Would you care to be served here or below?"

Mando gave him one look before turning his chair around to face the controls and the window of the ship. "I'm not hungry."

At his words, the IG-11 then left the cockpit without saying a word. Once he left, Mando spoke up. "Under no circumstances does that thing leave the ship."