Chapter 10: Training The Villagers

As soon as we returned to the village, we gathered all the villagers in front of Mando's home. Faven stood in front of the crowd next to Winta with the child in her arms.

"Bad news. You can't live here anymore." Mando informed them.

I mentally facepalmed. Real smooth, Mando. The villagers all looked at us, baffled. "What? Why?"

"Nice bedside manner." Cara whispered.

"Think you can do better?" Mando questioned.

"Can't do much worse." Cara shot back.

I snickered, earning a look from Mando, who was no doubt glaring at me under that bucket. I shrugged. The villagers were muttering amongst themselves. Cara took a step towards the people. "I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there are no other options."

"You took the job." Stoke reminded us.

I felt a pang of guilt. Yes, we took the job, the credits, and even the lodging. However, we had no idea about the AT-ST, which the villagers knew about.

"Yes, we did. But that was before we knew about the AT-ST." I pointed out.

Stoke furrowed his brows. "What is that?"

"The armored walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us." Cara clarified.

The villagers all protested, pleading for our help. Stoke spoke up. "You're supposed to help us."

"We hired you." Caben added.

"We have nowhere to go." Omera mentioned.

"Sure you do. This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller." Cara stated.

"My grandparents seeded these ponds." Caben protested.

"It took generations." Stoke chimed in.

"I understand. I do, but there are only three of us." Cara argued.

"No, there's not. There's at least twenty of us here." Stoke corrected.

Caben's eyes lit up as he nodded vigorously. "Yeah!"

"I mean fighters. Be realistic." Cara commented.

"We can learn." Stoke urged.

"Give us a chance." Another villager begged.

"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes." Cara shot back.

"We're not going anywhere." Omera insisted.

I had to admire their determination. They weren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon. So why try teaching them? I guess there's harm in trying to help them out. Surely, they can defend themselves if we teach them, right?

"You cannot fight that thing." Cara insisted.

"It's better than not trying anything." I protested. "With the three of us, we can train them."

"Vos's right. We can show them." Mando mentioned.

I was taken back that Mando agreed with me. I furrowed my brows. "Did you just agree with me...again?"

Mando turned his helmet towards me, merely shrugging. Cara let out a sigh. "Fine...I guess it wouldn't hurt."

With that, we gathered all villagers around the ponds. The children were off playing in the middle of the village. Cara, Mando, and I stood before the villagers. They listened very carefully as Mando began to explain what we needed to do in order to stop these raiders.