Chapter 18: Mission Gone Wrong

A/N: Sorry it took me a while, I've been very busy. But without further ado, here's chapter 18! 

Once Xi'an, Mayfeld, Burg, Zero, and Mando made their way onto the ship, Grogu and Faven were safe inside Mando's room. Zero made his way towards the cockpit, while the rest of us remained in the cargo hold. Xi'an sat on the ground, balancing a dagger in her hand, while Burg paced around the cargo hold near her. Mayfeld sat on the floor near Xi'an. I remained standing, leaning against the wall, waiting for Mando to return from the cockpit.

Xi'an gave Burg a glare. "Will you sit down?"

Burg let out a grunt before slamming the ceiling, causing Xi'an to hiss. Burg let out a chuckle. He then quickly grew bored, beginning to snoop around, opening up Mando's weapon cabinet. And it was at that moment that Mando climbed down the ladder. He noticed Burg, rummaging through his cabinet. Mando immediately used the controls one of his vambraces to shut the cabinet. Burg grunted as he slammed his hands against the doors, trying to open the cabinet again. However, Mando approached Burg, stopped him.

Burg whipped around, glaring at Mando. Mayfeld immediately intervened before anything could happen. "Hey, hey, hey. Okay, I get it. I'm a little particular about my personal space, too. So, let's just do this job. We get in, we get out, and you don't have to see our faces anymore."

"Someone tell me why we even need a Mandalorian." Burg grumbled.

"Well, apparently they're the greatest warriors in the galaxy." Mayfeld mentioned. "So they say."

"Then why are they all dead?" Burg inquired.

At his words, Mayfeld, Xi'an, and Burg all laughed. I watched as Mando's shoulders tensed and how he clenched his fists. I could feel his anger, radiating off of him. And it took everything within me not to snap at Burg. I took a deep breath, reaching out to the Force to calm me.

Mayfeld then looked over at Xi'an. "Well, you flew with him, Xi'an. Is he as good as they say?"

"Ask him about the job on Alzoc III." Xi'an suggested as she kept her gaze on her dagger.

"I did what I had to." Mando admitted.

Xi'an chuckled, looking up at him. "Oh, but you liked it. See, I know who you really are."

My stomach churned. What did he do? I felt someone's gaze, and the moment I turned, I saw it was Mando looking at me. I grew uncomfortable, pondering Xi'an's words. Was she taunting Mando and me. Or was she telling the truth? Regardless of that, I knew better than to judge him on his past actions, I was no saint. I had my fair share of skeletons, none that I was willing to share with Faven. 

"He never takes off the helmet?" Mayfeld questioned, changing the subject.

Xi'an shook her head before mocking Mando. "This is the Way."

She then let out a giggle, which was quite irksome. Mayfeld glanced back at Mando, inspecting him. "Huh. I wonder what you look like under there. Maybe he's a Gungan. Is that why yousa don't wanna show your face?"

Burg and Xi'an burst out in laughter. I could feel my anger rise. How dare they mock Mando. We should've never come to this mercenaries in the first place.

"You ever seen his face?" Mayfeld inquired as he looked over at Xi'an.

Xi'an grabbed one of her lekku as she grinned. "A lady never tells."

I rolled my eyes. Mayfeld then turned towards me. "What about you, Pantoran?"

"I have a name, Mayfeld." I retorted.