Lolo Ben

Chapter 4

Today is the birthday of Ken's grandfather, Lolo Ben, the father of Ken's father. Lolo Ben also acts as one of the two youngster's best friend. Every time they commit mistakes, Lolo Ben would always help them deal with their angry mothers. That's why every time Thisbe has problem at home, she would always go to Ken and ask him to accompany her to Lolo Ben.

"Do we really have to visit him now? His house for sure is packed with oldies that can barely walk properly. You don't want to socialize with them, do you?" Ken whined.

"Who cares? It's his birthday. We should be there and also, he's not getting any younger.."

Ken just sighed.

As soon as they arrived, Thisbe greeted Lolo Ben, who was at the moment laughing with his colleagues. Lolo Ben then waved and smiled at them and gestured them to go to the living room and wait for him there.

Ken and Thisbe led their way to living room and sat at the sofa. There were a few senior citizens who were also present there who tried to interview the two youngsters. They keep on asking questions one after another and receiving compliments.

"What a pretty faces you both have."

"Are you dating?"

"No, we're not" Ken and Thisbe denied.

"So what?"

"She's my younger sister." Ken alleged which is actually true, at least for both of them, not biological of course but they treated each other as siblings since the day they met.

"But I heard Ben only has one grandson.."

Thank God Lolo ben interrupted. They've been getting these questions almost every day, thanks to their very inquisitive school mates.

An hour had passed and the visitors already left. The two youngsters sat at the garden to get some fresh air and have some talk just like how they always do.

Lolo Ben came with three sticks of ice cream with him and sat with the two.

As usual, Thisbe started the conversation.

"Lolo Ben, your house is so peaceful without your visitors. This is what I really came here for." Thisbe said as she breathes in a fresh air feeling as if everything is tranquil for a moment.

Ken and Lolo Ben agreed as they started eating their ice cream and they all stared at the starry night sky.

Lolo Ben told them stories about how he and her wife met and how they both decided to decorate this garden according to their personal taste. He also told them how hard they fought for this house just to be saved from not being demolished.

"Now that my wife is gone, my only son is away living with his own family..." Lolo Ben took a glimpse at his only grandson, Ken, and then back to the stars again, " I'm also getting older, weaker as time passes by and this house might be empty soon."

The mood suddenly changes from cheerful into solemn atmosphere. And Thisbe really can't stand this kind of quiet and serious atmosphere so she steps in.

"Waah Lolo Ben, are you saying you're about to die? So the statement must really be true.." Thisbe teased, "there's a saying, wicked people live longer." Ken chuckled as Thisbe continued.

Lolo Ben giggled, "Really? I should really live longer then."

"This place is really nice. If ever I want to hide myself from everyone, this is the first and only place I would go to." Thisbe gags.

"I doubt that. Don't you think? People around you would run from you first before you could even do that." Ken debated and they all laughed at the thought.

A moment of silenced once more enveloped them.

"You're both free to come here whenever you want." Lolo Ben blurted out of silence while looking up the sky, "in one condition.." and the two youngsters were suddenly intrigued. They both shifted their head to the old man's direction.

"You must never leave this house empty even when my sight of this earth has been taken away from me..." he took a long breath and continued,

"until the day of my last breath, keep this house alive."