Why?

Chapter 10

Consciousness hits Thisbe, her eyes feeling heavy because she's been sleeping for too long. Two days to be exact.

Her nose was immediately filled with unique smell of saturation of alcohol.

It was strangely quiet and cold. Totally different from the air she grew up on. Everything for her was unfamiliar.

Thisbe forced herself to open her heavy eyelids. She managed to open her right eye slightly and saw a blinding light.

The light, it was definitely not her room, she thought.

She opened both of her eyes and helped herself get up. Though her vision was still a blur, she saw a figure of slender man sitting at the couch beside the door.

With his legs crossed, Thisbe slowly recognized who that strange man was. It was Mr. Lee.

The first person she saw was the last man he wanted to see at the moment.

She cleared her eyes first to make sure she's not just being delirious.

"Why are you here?" Thisbe asked with annoyance.

The man looked down smilingly and gently stood up walking towards her with his hands both on his pockets.

"Don't you remember? Oh wait, don't tell me you accidentally hit your head during the fire outbreak?" Mr. Lee asked sarcastically.

Thisbe felt a slight tingling in her head as she tried to recall everything that happened.

Why is she in the hospital with a jerk like him? And where the hell is her mother and brother?

Mr. Lee sniffed upon seeing Thisbe struggling to remember. He bent his upper body to level his head to her and whispered...

"My intention was just to scare you. I didn't know you would jump into fire just to save your father's picture like an idiot." He giggled once again.

Just at that moment, realization hits her hard. She can now recall everything that happened.

The fire. The picture. Her quarrel with Ken.

Her hands turned into a gritting fist.

"To scare me? What the hell are you trying to say?" she asked confused and frantic.

"You told me you saw the content of the flash drive Navi gave me, right? Well.. " he said while standing straight with grin pasted on his face, "I just wanted to clear my name because I know you probably think I'm a bad person.."

He once again whispered right through Thisbe's ear saying, "Well, I'm not a bad person but.. I could be a horrible one. Actually, no not horrible.. An evil one indeed once I'm provoked"

Because of anger that Thisbe felt, she secretly search a pillow through her hands and once she get hold of it, she hardly slapped it right into Mr. Lee's face.

That man used her brother and now he put their house on fire almost killing her, and yet he still has the guts to smile. This act is inhumane she thought as she started crying and shouting at him.

The door slides open but Thisbe wasn't able to notice it.

"What's happening here?!" Thisbe's mom asks in shock.

Thisbe's mom hugged and caressed her back gently to calm her while saying 'it's fine'.

"What happened?" Thisbe's mom asked to Mr. Lee worriedly.

"I'm sorry. I should've never told her about Mr. Ramos' death." Mr. Lee said innocently which made Thisbe stop from crying due to shock.

"It's not your fault, Thisbe." Her mom released her from a tight hug and holds Thisbe's tiny face with her cold and rough hands, "God alone has decided to take Ken's father's life."

Thisbe felt deep sorrow. Her hands turned into a tight fist.

She then felt disgusted the moment Mr. Lee touched her shoulders while saying, "No one is responsible for the death of that careless firefighter. Don't be too hard on yourself."

A sudden tingling in her head made her yelps in pain as memories of the fire, the people panicking, and the suffocating feeling she felt that time flashes back cruelly.

She cried as loud as she could possibly can with both hands holding her head due to pain.

"Hey, you shouldn't be saying that. You should go and call the doctor first. Tell them she's already conscious." Thisbe's mom whispered to Mr. Lee.

Thisbe released herself from her mother's embrace and just stared at the floor for almost a minute.

Still staring at the floor looking lost, Thisbe asks, "Mom, can I get some water?" She asked. Her mother quickly responded to her request.

Once her mom emerged from bed and walk to the table beside her, she hastily rip the dextrose saline in her hand.

She yelps in pain as the needle came out and blood started gushing out. She jumped out of bed and now she felt her whole body aching. It's like it's already been months since she last used her body.

Every gulp felt like a piece of glass being swallowed.

"Thisbe!" Her mom yelled at her but she just constantly leaves the room.

"I need to see Ken, Mom!"