Story 6: In Emersyn's Light

August's POV. 

You ever just meet a person and it changes you? Like fundamentally your life is different after you get to know them than it was before? 

And I guess when this happens, usually you carry their memory with you as you move on and you base your learning off that experience, your growth. You remember them as a past love and you move on. 

But with Emersyn and I, it was always so much more complicated than that. 

I wish it was as simple as- boy meets girl, boy falls in love, boy falls out of love and boy and girl move on.

It would have been beautifully simplistic. That shit.

But there's so much more history. We didn't just meet one day, we grew up together. She didn't just change me, I had to change to be better, but then, after I got better, there was no way to go back. 

Not when we had both tried so hard to stay away from each other. 

And it was hard, it wasn't like we could cut all ties, we have family traditions, common friends, shared love ones. 

I just had to stay away, for her sake, after I ended it that Spring day, I was the one who had to stay strong and stay away because anything else would have been so fucking unfair. 

It was my choice. 

But with cutting ties came resentment, anger from her, hurt, pain. 

You don't just abandon your best friend, is what she used to say, during the drunken calls. 

That used to be excruciating. 

But then after a month, the calls mostly stopped. After three, she was totally gone from my life. 

Six, I was moving away. 

A year: we'd seen each other at Christmas.  Two years: we could be in the same room and exchange politeness. 

Three: she started bringing people to meet the family. 

Four: we were strangers. 

Five. Well, worse than that. I forgot. 

I forgot her I guess. Sort of. I didn't forget who she was, I didn't forget that she was a person I loved, someone that as a family, we care about. 

But I guess I forgot her, the way it was, the person she was. The reasons why I felt the way I did.  

And then lockdown happened. 

And yes, the effects of the pandemic has been devastating. The world has been turned upside down and not in the fun way. But well I've been taught to find the positive in things, she was the first person that showed me how to fully see the world differently. 

Plus, well, years of therapy does that too. Because it could be argued that the pandemic came with a slight silver lining. It wasn't long before most of us were raising it wasn't the material things you missed. But instead, it was the human contact. 

You miss the things you hadn't even thought about in years, and with that you realise what life should look like. 

The pandemic has made us realise the amount of things we take for granted in life. 

And it also reminds you of people that you miss. Of people who you care about. Of people you wish to stay safe. 

And I guess that's why I called her. 

I just wanted to know she was safe. 

That was all. 

But then the messy person, who she still fucking is, started writing a God damn book. 

A book of us. 

And suddenly she was slowly crawling back into my life. Or well. I think I was crawling back into hers. 

I guess it was my fault. 

It usually was. 

But also it wasn't. Isn't. I don't get how she doesn't understand. That she's just different. That it's not my fault that I'm not strong enough to stay away. 

And I don't mean the weird connection we have, I mean the way she lights up my fucking life by simply saying my name. 

It's her. 

I mean the way she is simply fucking different than the rest. 

This one- I hate her. She's unfiltered, unafraid. She's still a open book, in the most complicated ways. She's never afraid to show who she truly is. 

And who she truly is so pure that it makes it utterly painful to even think about the history we shared. 

She's unique, authentic, she mixes craziness with class and confidence with vulnerability. 

She's a force that is overwhelming, always, unbothered, unaffected, especially now.

Especially now that she's grown so much, especially now that I've grown enough to be able to see her, so fucking clearly. 

But well it started with a phone call. 

Just a simple check in. 

"Emersyn, hi, it's me, August."

HI! Welcome to the Sixth story!

This is going to be mostly dialogue. With a few August POV chapters. 

It's mainly to bridge the gap between the last book and the next. And also I am bored and a dialogue book is a lot easier to write than the other ones plus I felt like experimenting with style would be fun. 

Anyway yeah, I will be writing Lottie's story. But it will be in a few months, like I am going to do a lot of planning and stuff to find the exact story line and characters I want to include. Feel free to leave your Lottie ideas here!

Anyway this story will be set at the beginning of lockdown, it will follow Emerysn and August and the chapter you've already seen, the one that was the epilogue of the past book, will be placed about the middle of this book. I hope that makes sense. 

Anyway I hope you enjoy! 

Any Questions? If not- Happy Reading. 

Lots of Love.