23-I want to move closer, is that okay?

LOL Hi! i totally made up for such a short chapter by writing this one- it's a lot longer hehe:) Happy Reading!

This took me so long lmao- please vote and comment!!

"Hey." I say quietly, watching her get into the car. She had her hair down, messy, her face bare, her legs covered by some sweatpants, a baggy jumper draped over her. She looked small, tired, she looked stressed.

And I immediately feel bad. I don't know if the stressed crease between her brow had something to do with me, but I assume it might do. And that is the last thing I want to do. Stress her out.

"Hey."

"Hey." I repeat, watching her closely as she turns her eyes to mine.

"Sorry to drag you out of bed."

I shrug. "I don't mind, I'd literally just gone in anyway."

"What were you doing?" She asks, pulling her seatbelt on and I turn on the car, deciding to drive up to the cliffs.

"Just getting some paperwork together, I am supposed to move into this flat in a couple of weeks, but I don't actually sign the contract until I am in there, like when they meet me with the keys."

She nods. "So like you could pull out of the contract at any time."

I look at her.

I mean, yeah.

"Yeah?"

She just sighs back in her chair. "That's weird they're doing it like that."

"Yeah really strange, but I suppose everything's just weird at the moment."

"Yeah, I brought a plane ticket today and it had all those refund-like policies that you usually have to pay for but like for free."

I glance at her.

"A plane ticket?"

"Mhm."

"Where to?"

"You remember my friend Aeron?"

"The guy from brazil?"

"Mm." Emersyn hums quietly. "He's actually in Ghana now."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, he um, there's this programme –"

"How the hell did he get to Ghana in a pandemic?"

"Ha, flight restrictions are different everywhere."

"Oh yeah."

I drive as she explains how there is a small programme based in the beach-side village of Kokrobite where they're helping the community recover from the pandemic and majorly the loss of loved ones. Apparently, there has been a lot of death of fathers, husbands and the volunteer work is mainly focused on women's empowerment and teaching.

"So like I'll be working directly with women and girls of all ages from traditional fishing communities, and some of these women August, they have never ever even thought about becoming empowered or having equal rights, like that's not their reality for them. But we'd be trying to help them realise their rights and help them."

"How would you do that?" I ask.

"Er, we'd be helping with building practical vocational skills, such as IT literacy, English language, simple mathematics, business management, financial planning and things. Like stuff as well like childcare, so they can go and be a part of these workshops that we do. Or running them alongside education, so I think he's helping to build a school right now, you see?"