16- Can you take me home?

HI remember to comment cos it makes me happyyyy- also tysm for idk reading me work.

Friday 19th May

August's POV.

"I'm just calling to say thank you August." Mum says and I snort a little at how sincere she sounds. Obviously, she's sincere, it's Ivy. But it's just funny that she feels the need to call and thank me.

"It's a few trips. It gives me something to do. I like it."

"I know, I just know that you didn't exactly mean to be roped into delivering shopping to my parents' friends and things."

"Honestly, it's fine."

I went to drop Ivy's parent's shopping this morning and Beth was on the phone when Mr James answered the door and I could hear her explaining to her friend who it was and then well I don't know what happened but I ended up with four more shopping lists.

Which was honestly fucking fine.

I was just trying to read the notes I wrote on the phone when mum called and so now I'm stood in the middle of the supermarket trying to end the call but not wanting to hurt her feelings. She feels a lot.

"Mum?"

"Yes?"

"I can't see the lists if I am on the phone with you and I am in the middle of the store. So I need to go, plus it's hard to talk with a mask."

"Okay, sorry hon, I will see you soon. I miss you."

"Miss you too."

"Alright, your father says hello, Lottie too."

I try not to sigh as now I have to say hello to both of them.

"Tell them I said hi back."

"How's your brother doing? Oh. How is Sawyer? Did his nasty spell of migraines end?"

"Mum, please."

"Oh yeah, sorry." She laughs lightly. "Okay, well they are both okay though right?"

"Yes they are perfect."

"Good. So are we. I will see you soon."

"See you."

"Love you loads."

"Yep, love you too, goodbye mum."

I hang up before she could possible say anything else.

Christ.

I had a separate big bag for each family, I was trying to keep it all organised.

It was difficult.

But after grabbing the last fucking loaf of bread, I head to the check out and the lady smiles kindly at me because I gather from my bags and organisation she knows what I'm doing.

We just move through each bag pretty slowly, it was quiet.

My nan and grandad's friends Mrs and Mr Irwin have been shielding since March apparently, they hardly go out, but when they do they are pretty afraid still. So I am picking up some shopping for them. I think they're just old, supposed to be staying at home. Mrs Peterson however has a rare kidney disease that makes her immune system weak, therefore she has to shield. And as she was also just on call to my grandmother, I am getting her shopping as well.

I bag up those two and then send another through the conveyer belt.

The other two go smoothly through.