Prologue

"Mom! Where are my earrings!?" I screech through the halls of the pack house. My family and I were invited to one of our allied packs Alpha's coming of age ceremony, looks were important at these events if you have yet to find a mate. Many of our neighbouring packs would be trying to set up an arranged marriage during the event. As a bachelorette myself, my parents were increasingly adding pressure on me to find someone to marry, mate or not. 

Being of Beta blood, my parents expected me to mate with an Alpha or Beta myself to maintain my rank and help form alliances through marriage. Since I was small and barely 19 years old, I had yet to find anyone who would look my way, let alone marry me. Secretly I held hope that I could meet my future mate at one of these events, so I could be spared the hassle of being paraded around like a show pony.

"Belle! Hurry up or we'll be late!" My dad's voice thundered outside of my room. Inside the room I was tearing through my belongings, hunting ruthlessly to find my missing earrings. I'd had this outfit planned for weeks for this event and the crowning glory was a pair of silver snowdrop studs, appropriate for the winter event.

I eventually come across the dainty jewellery box inside my bedside table.

Of course that's where earrings would be.

I roll my eyes at myself in the mirror as I shove the ratings into my ear. My thigh length navy blue dress clinging to my petite figure as I admire my well dressed self.

My long dark hair reached down to my shoulder blades, slicked back immaculately so it wouldn't flop over my shoulders all night. My piercing green eyes examining the sweetheart neckline on my dress, my collarbones visible above it. The dress itself was silky and tight against my body, encrusted with small gems along the hemline at the bottom. Paired with a pair of matching blue heels.

I grab a silver clutch bag off of my bed and admire myself one last time before I leave my bedroom. My parents were stood outside in the hallway looking at me impatiently as I emerge. My dad links his arms through my mum's as we walk out of the house.

Out of both of my parents I look the most like my father, we have the same dark hair and facial features. The only part of me that mirrored my mom was my green eyes, the only symbol that we're related at all.

"Now Belle, even if Alpha Julian isn't your mate we really could do with you making a good impression," my Dad addresses me. "Things are turning rocky between our packs, you two pairing up together would bring us together nicely and save our alliance," he coaches.

My dad looks over his shoulder at me and I nod silently in agreement.

"One more thing," My mom pipes up. "Do not be snarky tonight," She warns.

"Me? Snarky? Oh mother dear it's like you don't know me at all." I mockingly grab my heart and feign innocence.

"Isabella!" My dad growls angrily at me.

I bow my head to hide the grin on my face as he snaps at me. One of the simplistic joys of my life was winding my parents up til their breaking point. I've always been naturally gifted in the 'Sarc and Snark' department, as I have so aptly named it.

We reach the courtyard of the pack house and take it in turns to greet the Alpha and Luna of our pack. My dad joins his old friends side loyally, as he had for the past 20 years of his life. My mother bows her head and greets Alpha Shaun nobly and joins our Luna Riley the two of them linking arms and making small talk as we head towards the car.

I sidle up next to my best friend and partner in crime Joanna. She was our Alpha's daughter and already mated to one of the warriors in our pack.

"I hate these things," I grumble. "They gave me the speech again." I roll my eyes and Jo pulls a disgusted face.

"Seriously? What is wrong with your parents? Mine were thrilled when I found out Lucas was my mate and I'm the Alphas daughter! You would think the pressure would be on me rather than you!" She tuts.

"You're already Alpha blood, my parents are determined for me to match rank or marry up. But all of these alphas are horrible. The last one I met, Garrett, he wiped his nose on his hand and then went to shake mine," I grimace at the memory.

"Oh I remember that! Gooey Garrett!" Jo chuckles next to me.

"They really thought I should marry him!" I protest.

We quieten down as we reach the car and catch up with our parents. Our pack spares no expenses when it comes to visiting other packs. A long black limousine was waiting for us and we all took turns to clamber in. I climb in last to avoid flashing anybody with my less than dignified entrance to the car. The driver closes the door behind me and we soon pull away from home.

My parents spend most of the journey coaching me in etiquette as if I'd forgotten all common sense since last month and the Gooey Garrett incident.

"Yes Mom, I know," I sigh as she tells me for the one hundredth time to cut out the snark. The Alpha and Luna smile sympathetically at me as the driver finally releases us from my personal hell. I hop out of the car without falling flat on my face or flashing my panties.

A wonderful achievement if I do say so myself. I stand to one side as the rest of our party climb out. Our Alpha leads the way as he introduces us to the new Alpha Ruben. We take turns to shake his hand and I flash him my best 'desperate to be a housewife' smile. Ruben leads us into his pack house and towards their ballroom, everybody makes their way in except for me.

"Hey so can you pretend to hate my guts so my parents back off me," I whisper to Ruben once they're out of earshot.

"You're the eighth person to ask me that tonight. Am I really all that bad?" The blonde Alpha in front of me raises an eyebrow.

"Not bad just not my mate," I chuckle. "Also you don't want to marry me, I'm snarky and messy and out of control if you believe everything my parents tell me."

"Well in that case I'll count my lucky stars," he laughs back. "I have to go another car is pulling up, enjoy your evening Isabella," he smiles.

"Call me Belle." Well I haven't found a husband but I certainly found a friend.