chapter 14

camila paced back and forth in her bedroom, her phone held up to her ear. she cried out and threw her phone on the bed when it once more rang to voicemail. camila slid down to the floor against her bed, pulling on her hair frustratingly. why wasn't dinah answering?

tears streamed down her face, she didn't know if it was out of sadness or frustration or both. their family of five people was now down to her and her mom only? her body began trembling lightly and she let out a heavy sigh. "no," she mumbled to herself. this was not happening. she was not gonna have an anxiety attack now.

camila stood up, wiping the tears off her face. she walked over to her double doors and opened up the balcony. grabbing the fleece blanket resting on her bed, she stepped into the balcony and closed the doors, stepping out into the fresh miami air. the breeze helped her mind calm, and she looked over at the boy's house. their balconies weren't directly in front of the other, but were easily visible to the other. unfortunately, his curtains were closed but she could see the light on.

she was still in her outfit from earlier, wearing his flannel as well. she took in the scent of his cologne, noticing it aided in calming her down immensely.

she sat on the balcony floor, resting her head against the rails and towards shawn's house, where she could still see the room lights were on. she debated going back inside to grab her phone to text him, but only a few seconds later his light turned off. she figured he'd be going to sleep now, and realized she'd have to be by herself for the night.

camila sighed quietly, taking everything from the day in. she closed her eyes and tightened the blanket around her to keep warm.

- -

sinuhe walked towards her daughter's bedroom, wanting to check on her after seeing how upset she got at the news. she knocked on her door, waiting a few seconds before opening it as she knew it was useless to wait for an answer. she was shocked at the sight of the empty room.

"karla?" she called out worryingly.

she checked the restroom and the closet, getting progressively more worried turning up empty handed.

at last resort, she opened the balcony doors and sighed in relief at the sight of her daughter asleep on the cold floor. why was she there? she knew she couldn't leave her out there in the cold, and carefully picked her fragile blanket-wrapped body up.

her mom slowly carried her inside to not wake her up and placed her gently on her bed. she took off her shoes and covered her up with the blanket once more.

sinuhe placed a kiss on her daughter's forehead and stroked her cheek gently. "goodnight mi nena. te quiero mucho."

- -

camila angrily grabbed the brush and began combing her hair into a low bun in frustatrion. she had shut her phone off all sunday and had forgotten to turn it on for her alarm, giving her less than ten minutes to get ready before shawn would be waiting outside. she threw on her pullover over her polo and quickly tied up her beaten-up white shoes before gathering her stuff and running downstairs.

both her parents were gone, so she quickly grabbed her house keys from their place on the wall and ran out, locking her door along the way.

she had made it just in time, as when she had turned around from locking the door she heard shawn's car pull up. she sighed nervously, the first thing she had done yesterday morning was shut off her phone as she had not been in the mood to socialize with anyone, and didn't know if shawn had tried to get in contact with her as they regularly texted all the time.

camila quickly walked over to his car, opening the back door and getting in.

"good morning," he greeted, looking at her from the rear-view mirror. she sighed quietly in relief, seeing his smile and figuring he wasn't mad. alessia had greeted her as well, and she simply smiled.