chapter 3

tuesday morning camila walked downstairs to prepare her coffee. she saw her older sister already ready to drive her. 

"good morning" she said from the living room. camila smiled back.

she got her stuff together and walked to the car. the car ride was once again silent, as were their goodbyes. 

camila shut the door and fixed the collar under her hoodie. walking up the steps to the main entrance she searched for dinah. apparently she would wait for her there today, but chances are she forgot or woke up late. probably the latter. she pulled out her phone and started scrolling through twitter before she felt herself being squeezed half to death.

"chancho!" dinah yelled. camila laughed and hugged her back. "i missed you!" dinah said.

"was yesterday fun without me?" dinah asked as they walked to class. camila sighed and shook her head, making a pouty face. "don't make that face. i'll meet you in art, okay?" she said and gave her a hug. camila nodded and walked into her first period.

walking to her chair she noticed alessia was already there. "hi camila!" she said with a smile. camila smiled back. the math lesson went by quickly and soon enough the bell rang for their next class. 

- -

camila waited for dinah outside the art classroom when she saw shawn walk up to her. "hey camila. are you having a good day?" he asked her. she smiled and was about to nod when she heard a loud noise from across the hall.

"hey! get away from her! don't mess with her!" dinah said, running as fast as she could towards them. camila blushed and shook her head at dinah, trying to tell her he wasn't bullying her.

shawn slowly stepped away and put his hands up, looking terrified. "i'm sorry i wasn't doing any-

"mila was this guy messing with you?" she asked in all seriousness and camila shook her head. "you sure?" camila nodded and looked at shawn as to say sorry.

"oh. sorry. who are you?" dinah asked shawn

"i'm shawn, i'm new and camila lives by my house. we sat in art together yesterday so i thought she could join us again..."

"oh. i thought you were bullying her. i'm dinah. if you ever hurt her i will not hesitate to give you a poly beatdown" she said. he didn't know what that was but he didn't feel like finding out.

"okay, i'm gonna go in now" he said awkwardly. camila shoved dinah, embarrassed he had to experience that. "i'm sorry! i thought he was messing with you!" she said as they walked into the class. dinah walked towards their usual seats before camila tugged on her arm. camila pointed to the other side of the room where shawn and alessia were already sitting.

"you wanna sit over there?"

a nod.

"are you sure?"

another nod.

"okay." they walked towards the other side of the class and set their stuff down. the siblings, who were previously talking amongst themselves, looked up at them. "hey, i'm alessia i don't think we've met" she said, reaching her hand out for dinah to shake it. dinah shook it wearily. why were they being so nice?

"we just moved here from canada a few days ago" she said.

ah, that explains it.

"cool. so how did you meet mila?" she asked. "um, your friend conan was with us yesterday and he introduced us, she also lives by our house" shawn answered.

"and are you two dating?" she asked.

"no!" they yelled at the same time.

"we're siblings, well step siblings but yeah" he said laughing. "my dad got a better job opportunity here."

"hey! sorry i'm late!" conan said, pulling a chair from the table next to them and sitting on it. "what are we doing?"

"i think we just keep working on the projects from last week. oh, you two can go ask the teachers for instructions since you're new" dinah said.

"hi cami" conan said sweetly. she smiled back. 

- - 

when the lunch bell rang dinah got her stuff and was about to walk out when camila pulled her down and once again signaled to the other three. "oh! we were eating lunch with them! i almost forgot" she said and waited for the rest.

"are you guys gonna eat in the cafeteria?" dinah asked.

"what about that coffee shop a few blocks away? i want to show shawn and alessia all the good places around here. i can drive?" conan said. 

"you okay with that mila?" dinah asked, unsure if she'd be okay with so much social interation. she nodded. "are you sure? we can go somewhere else if you want" she told her, making sure the others couldn't hear. when camila nodded again, she turned back to the group and nodded. "let's go!"

- -

the drive to the coffee shop had been short, and they were currently in line to get their orders. "what do you want me to order?" dinah asked.

vanilla latte, camila typed on her phone.

"what else?" camila shook her head. "you're getting actual food. what else do you want?"

a croissant i guess

dinah and camila walked to their seats with their food as the others ordered. "why do you want to hang out with them so much?" dinah asked camila. she shrugged and typed on her phone.

i just trust them ig

"are you sure you don't have a crush on shawn?" she teased. camila blushed and shook her head, shoving dinah. "whatever, but i still think conan has a thing for you!"

he's just being friendly. not bullying me doesn't mean having a crush.

dinah sighed and hugged camila. although she knew camila tried to play the bullying off as if it didn't bother her, she knew it did. before they could say anything else the other three had joined them.