chapter 20

"no, i don't agree," shawn stated defensively.

"what?! no, there's no way you prefer apple juice over orange juice!"

"well i do, and you're wrong."

"nope, orange juice is better."

"you're just a silly little seventeen year old," he joked, lightly pushing her so she'd fall on the grass in the front of their school.

camila squealed and got back up, throwing herself on shawn

he grunted at the immediate pressure but began laughing when he realized how stupid they probably looked. shawn wrapped his arms around her and leaned in to give her a kiss, her kissing him back.

"i love you," he said, brushing her bangs off her face.

"i love you, too," she replied shyly.

the soft and calm energy quickly ended as shawn saw from the corner of his eye austin walking up to the school.

"what the fuck?" he whispered.

"hm?"

"austin- why is he just walking free?!" he asked, getting angrier by the second.

"hey- calm down," she said calmly, trying to sit on his lap to prevent him from doing anything. camila grabbed his face and turned it to look back at her. "i'm okay."

austin had gone away to a juvenile center as soon as a report had been filed. "he doesn't get to do that then just walk free! there has to be a mistake!"

"okay well there's no way to know, is there? so just leave it shawn."

shawn ignored his girlfriend, lightly pushing her off his lap and standing up.

"shawn, stop," she warned. "class is starting soon, let's go," camila said, gripping his hand and trying to pull him back but failing.

"hey!" shawn called in austin's direction.

"shawn, i'm serious, stop," camila begged in tears.

shawn ignored her, walking closer to where austin was walking. austin caught sight of shawn and smirked.

"mendes," he greeted smugly. "happy to see you."

"why are you here?" he asked harshly. camila had stayed back, tears beginning to stream down her face from the anxiety and watching the interaction from a few feet away.

"well incase you're unaware, i go here."

"no, you don't. and you better stay the fuck away from me and my girlfriend," shawn threatened.

"or what?" he asked with a smirk.

that did it for shawn. he stepped closer to austin and swung. hard.

"what the hell?!" austin asked, holding his bloody nose.

camila quickly ran up next to shawn, not missing the hungry look austin gave her. in the heat of the moment, he didn't notice camila slip between the two. shawn swung again, but instead of hitting austin he punched camila.

he heard a small whimper that broke him out of his trance. shawn looked down and gasped at the sight of camila cupping her eye.

"fuck," he whispered, watching austin wipe off the rest of the blood and walk up to the school entrance. he let him slip away, focusing on camila. "i- i'm so sorry. i didn't- i thought you were back there! a-are you okay?!" he stuttered, grabbing camila's face to get a closer look.

"it kinda hurts," she admitted, sniffling a bit. "how's your hand?"

"don't worry about that, let me see your eye," he gently removed her hands. "it's probably gonna bruise," he sighed. "i am so sorry, if i had know-"