chapter 9

friday came along, and camila was sitting in her third period next to dinah. she was slightly annoyed, as this was the first time she saw the girl since the morning, and dinah had been to engrossed in her phone the whole class.

she sighed in annoyance for what felt like the millionth time at the lack of attention from her best friend. and for the first time for the whole period, dinah finally spoke up. 

"mila, would you mind if i spent lunch with someone else today?"

camila fought the urge to roll her eyes. of course, she thought. of course dinah is only talking to her to ditch her. however, she tried her best to be happy for the girl. she forced a smile on her face and nodded, telling her to go ahead and hang out with whoever it was. whoever wasn't her. everyone was tired of her now, even dinah apparently. 

"thanks, mila, i promise i'll make it up to you!" she promised, going back to typing on her phone right away. she sighed in annoyance once more, but ignored the situation as best as possible. 

the lunch bell rang, and dinah gave camila a guilty smile before bursting out the room. she cringed internally as she realized she would be alone, but walked out the door with the crowd, trying her best to blend in. camila looked over to the hallway leading to the school exit and debated following her new friends, who were probably going to find conan or something. she ultimately decided against it, and started making her way out of school with the intentions of spending lunch at the nearby park. she used to carry her guitar to school with her before the accident, and now wishes she would do so again, if she would be without friends apparently.

sighing, she grabbed her backpack tighter, just in case, and made her way down. 

"hey, camila, wait up!"

she frowned at the noise of someone calling her, slightly frightened if she was being honest, but relaxed when she saw who was calling her name. she smiled at the tall boy, who looked slightly flustered. 

"i saw dinah with a girl from english, and alessia is meeting with a teacher right now, so i was wondering if you wanted to spend lunch together? since we got ditched and all" he explained, still out of breath.

she laughed quietly but nodded. 

"great! uh, where do you want to go?" he asked, rubbing the back of his neck. 

she shrugged and smiled, leaving it up to him. 

"okay, do you wanna be outside or something?" he asked, knowing it was dumb of him to ask a general question anyway. 

she nodded and started walking out the doors, making sure he was following behind. they ended up on a green patch under a tree, and settled their stuff down.

"do you usually eat for lunch?" he asked, pulling out some healthy-looking food from his backpack. she gave him a quick shrug, mainly because she usually forgot to pack something and was too lazy to go buy something nearby. 

"um, okay, do you want some of my food?" he offered, pulling a muffin wrapped in saran wrap from his backpack.

she shook her head politely and sat down on the grass next to him.  

"am i making you uncomfortable? like, would you rather be alone and stuff?" he asked nervously.

camila quickly pulled out her phone to type out a reply. 

no! i promise its really nice to be treated normally. people dont usually try to communicate with me for the obvious

"oh, i'm sorry to hear that.." he said nervously after reading her screen. she laughed at his nerves but shook her head as to tell him to forget it.