Chapter 19

Where was I? What happened to me? All I remember is being paralyzed on a gurney then another prick to my neck and I was out. Am I dead? No, I don't think so... Can I move?

            I finally got to my senses and started on moving my limbs. It was easier then I actually thought. Just in a few minuets later I was sitting up. I sit upon an oddly cushioned bed. Next to me was a table with a folder on it.

Did the surgery already take place? I grabbed the folder and looked through it. Two pieces of paper were neatly placed inside of it. I grabbed the first one and read it.

Dear Zoe,

            I don't know how much time you will have when you wake so I will make this quick. We have enough data for the blueprints but my associates disagree. I stopped the procedure before anything happened. We don't need you, Group B or any of your friends anymore. The Trials should finally be over. On the map that I have provided you a path drawn towards three exits. The first one leads you to the Right Arm, the seconds leads you to the immunes and the third shows you how to find the back door. The back door should have a Flat Trans where you can start a new life. Take them all and leave. Remember even though you don't remember me, I still love you. Zoe Leann Paige.

- Ava Paige, Chancellor and Andy Paige

I almost dropped the note there. I know my full name. Zoe Leann Paige. It does sound really familiar. I smiled. My smile was soon wiped off by a loud bang and many yells coming from the hallway. I grabbed the map and scanned through it.

If I go to the Right Arm I can find my friends and figure out a plan. The immunes looked like they were being hidden somewhere big... It was the maze. They were hiding them in the maze. I need to find Vince and my friends then go get them. I looked at the pathway and studied. Thankfully, being a runner in the maze has paid off and I remembered it quiet quickly. I folded the map and shoved it in my bra then set off. I kept telling myself to keep running, also to keep remembering the path. Right, right, left, straight, left, right, left, left, right. I repeated the directions over and over in my head.

            Finally reaching the first door I headed out and again, remembering the directions turning here and there. Another door and I rushed out. This time it led outside where the sky was crowded with grey thundering clouds, lighting illuminating the sky. It reminded me of the storm in the Scorch. I followed the path towards another building and there was a hole in the wall, scattered ruble everywhere, and two people wearing regular people clothes sat with launchers in their hands. Oh thank god the Right Arm! I smiled and started walking towards them, but when I just about into their view two arms wrapped around my waist and a hand covered my mouth. I muffled a scream and kicked at my attacker. The person or people took me around the corner and away from the two Right Arms people and out of sight. My body was thrown against the hard brick wall of the building behind me, knocking the breath out of me. My body slumped to the ground and I looked up to see Rat Man and another person whom I didn't recognize. The other man came and held me down.

"I'm not surprised to see you have escaped." Rat man said with a slight snicker. "You were always the rebel."

"Get the hell away from me." I spat at him.

"Now, now dear Zoe we still have unfinished business to attend to." Janson said.

"Yeah like you dying?" I snarled. His face turned a bright red. I struggled against the man pinning me down. Rat man pulled out a knife and studied it.

"I personally didn't think I would be a violent man, but after you stabbed me and unsuccessfully tried to kill me, I thought to myself." He said. "Why should I be nice and so respectful to someone who wanted to murder me? Also, I am here to help people and I need to do stuff I personally never thought myself doing but I will finish this." Something in his eyes flickered. Fear. Something clicked in my head.