Chapter Thirty-Nine: DROID

Start writing your story

A sob wretched out of your throat. You could hear heavy breathing over the line.

"It's nice to hear your voice...one last time, love." Chuck said quietly.

Hot tears streamed down your face. "Chuck, don't do this. Please don't do this...please don't go." 

You sounded like a brat whining, but you didn't care. You just didn't want the people you loved to go blow themselves up to save the world.

"I'm sorry, love. It's the only way... I love you so much, Ruby Blackwell." You heard a gasp and a sob on the other end of the comm. The line clicked, the connection was severed.

You handed the headset back to Tendo, who put it on tentatively but watched you closely. "Ruby, why don't you sit down? This...this is going to be a lot. It already is..." He muttered.

You clenched your jaw. Hell. No.

It was not ending like this. You had been through enough already. He looked at Tendo one last time, his eyebrows immediately furrowing, "Wait, what are you-?"

You took off down the hall. You had an idea. Albeit stupid as hell, but what was there really to lose?

Mira would be safe should you win. She had people to love her and watch after her always. You were doing this for her, but mostly, for once, you were doing this for you.

You stormed down to the lab you had been working to prior to Newt's complete betrayal, Hermann whirled around upon hearing your boots. "I was wondering when you would show up for the end of the world. Your tardiness will be overlooked under the circumstances..." He gave you a little smirk.

You both went to work. Before everything had happened, you idea of nuclear bombs had always rang out  above any other idea. The wall just took precedence because everyone believed there to be more time.

You had put in for old World War II ammunitions and nuclear bomb pieces for a possible Plan Z, the scattered pieces including the highly toxic components were currently locked away in this lab. Enough to make six rounds, what the UN had declared enough for research purposes but no more.

The two of you put them together as quickly as possible, foregoing many safety precautions for the sake of time. Thank the Lord above that you both were geniuses. The intricate instructions and handling instructions would be latin for many others.

In an hours time you both had placed together four and a half. Hermann looked at you with a worried look. "This isn't enough, Ruby..." His chin trembled as he spoke.

You nodded, you knew it. "Put them all on a cart including the radioactive bits, with luck, their volatile nature with increase the blast power exponentially." He nodded and quickly went to package up the incredibly fragile bombs that now looked much more missile like. He stopped short, "How are you getting these down there?"

You turned back to him and winked, "Get them to the launch bay ASAP." You took off down the halls and found the lift to the rear end of the bay still in working order.

You knew what you were about to do was one fo the dumbest stunts you could ever pull. It also was a suicide mission, but one that could possibly save a few more lives.

In what was lovingly called 'the closet' lived the experiments and refused jaeger projects. This included bits from former jaegers, attempts at auto piloted jaegers and one pilot jaegers.

Beside what was once Crimson Typhoon's IB22's Plasmacaster and STERNO piston, was a small droid looking jaeger. You climbed up its white front, unlocking the domed conn pod. You crawled in and coughed at the stale air that escaped as you began switching it on.