Ophelia

I woke up earlier than everyone else so I decided to make some breakfast. I looked in the cabinet and the refrigerator to see what I could make. I saw waffle mix, sausages, eggs, cheese, bread, butter, and other things. I made the waffle batter, cracked and whisked all the eggs, and got out the sausage. I was still a little tired so I turned on the radio to wake me up and get me in the mood to cook. I got a little carried away while singing and dancing with the spatula. I didn't realize that the food was burning. I quickly took the waffles out of the waffle maker, took the eggs and bacon out of the pan, and took the bread out of the toaster. I tried fanning away the smoke with an oven mitt. I also opened up some of the windows so the smoke could air out of the kitchen. I climbed onto the counter to fan the smoke away from the smoke detector. I slipped and I thought I was going to fall but someone caught me. It was Theia. I thanked her, holding my heart. My heart almost jumped out of my chest.

"What were you doing?" Theia asked.

"Making breakfast." I smiled awkwardly, holding the plate of burnt food. Jay came downstairs coughing trying to wave away the smoke. He sat at the kitchen island and asked,

"What the—" Jay didn't finish because he saw the place of burnt breakfast. "Oh." He said. I took out three plates and served them. Jay and Theia looked at each other anxiously. They took their forks and ate a piece of the waffle.

"What do you think?" I asked worriedly.

"It...it's good, right Theia?" Jay asked as he glared at Theia.

"Mm, to me it tastes like—" He jabbed her in the side with his elbow. Theia winced and glared back at Jay then she realized why he did what he did. "It tastes delicious!" She started scarfing down the food that was on her plate. I looked at them both with disbelief. I knew they were lying but I decided to go along with it.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically. They smiled and finished the food on their plate. I took a bite of the food on my plate and I understood how nasty it tasted.

"The food was great Lia but next time let me do the cooking. Okay?" Jay said.

I nodded. I knew I wasn't that good at cooking but I didn't know I was that bad. I was lucky to have a friend like him. Jay is a wonderful cook. I would for sure let him cook breakfast next time. After breakfast, Jay went upstairs to go back to sleep and I decided to watch something on TV. 

"I'm going to get changed and get some coffee, wanna come?" Theia asked me.

"Nah, I'm good. Thank you though." She nodded and smiled as she went upstairs.

I started surfing through all the channels. I stopped on one channel that was playing Grease. It was at the part where Sandy was at the diner with Tom Chisum. I grabbed some chips from Theia's snack cabinet and decided to stay on the channel and watch it. I had only seen Grease once when I was 6. I only remembered bits and pieces of it though. Some scenes I remembered more fondly than others. I remembered the summer night scene because it was iconic. When I was a few minutes into the movie, Jay came down the stairs. He sat in my lap and propped his legs on the arm of the couch. I offered him the bag so Jay could get some chips too. I heard a car pull into the driveway and a door slam close.

"I'm back guys!" Theia shouted. She walked into the kitchen and placed the drink carrier on the island.

"I got you guys some drinks. A cappuccino for Lia, a chai latte for Jay, and a hibiscus tea for me!" Theia handed us our drinks and thanked her. She walked over to her snack cabinet and opened it. "Where are my Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream Ruffles? Did you guys eat them?!"

Our silence was Theia's confirmation. Jay and I looked at her and then looked at each other. We knew what we needed to do. We ran as Theia chased us around the house. Eventually, all of us stopped to catch our breath. She spared us after we offered to buy her some more Ruffles. The rest of the day we got some lunch, rode bikes, and went to the mall.