Ophelia

It was the third day of the Bridgemere trip. We were having a group bonfire and making s'mores. The fire crackled as we all sat on logs roasting our marshmallows. Some were more roasted then others. It was a pretty chilly night but the fire did a good job of keeping us warm. I put a marshmallow on my skewer stick and hovered it over the fire. I glanced over at Jay and Layla. They were sitting close to each other and they were laughing about something. During this trip I came to realize my feelings for Jay but not the kind of feelings friends have. I ignored them for a while not believing that I thought of Jay in that kind of way. I didn't confess because I was certain he didn't feel the same way as me. If he did, he wouldn't be dating Layla. I smelled something burning. I looked down at my marshmallow and it was on fire. I blew it out but it was too late, my marshmallow was burnt to a crisp. Matthew laughed at me as he sat down.

I smiled and asked, "Why are you laughing?"

"Our marshmallows suffered the same fate." I looked at his marshmallow on his stick. Matt's marshmallow seemed to be more burnt than mine.

I chucked a little. "Yeah, I guess so." I watched Jay and Layla again.

"They're cute aren't they?" He asked. I didn't want to agree so I changed the subject instead.

I forced a smile. "Some things taste better burnt and when it's burnt it's usually gooey inside."

"Hmm, well let's see."

We placed our marshmallows in between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate. We both took a bite. Once the taste reached our taste buds we spit out and laughed.

"Oh my gosh, that's horrible." Matthew said, wiping his tongue with a napkin. I smiled. He distracted me for a while but I still continued watching Layla and Jay. She said something to him. After Layla said it Jay took off his jacket and gave it to her. "Hey Ophelia, after this trip would yo—" Matthew didn't get to finish because I stood up and walked off.

I was so upset. I didn't know where I was going, I just wanted to get away from them. I heard running footsteps behind me. I hoped it wasn't a teacher.

"Ophelia." Once I heard their voice I knew it was Jay. I stopped walking and turned around.  "Where are you going?"

I looked away from him. "I don't know." I responded.

Jay took a step closer to me. I took a step back. "What's wrong?" He asked worried.

"Nothing." I figured he would believe me but I didn't want to tell him what was wrong. Jay walked towards me and gently touched my arms.

"It's not nothing Ophelia, I can tell that something's bothering you. You've been ignoring me since last week. All I want is for you to talk to me."

I decided to at least tell him a part of the truth. I hung my head and crossed my arms. "I guess I'm just scared that you'll leave me behind for her and our relationship will be ruined." I bit my lip hoping Jay would just take that and leave it.

"That's not all is it?" He asked.

"Maybe I'm also a little jealous." Jay looked at me confused. "Why would you be jealous?"

I wasn't going to confess to him so instead I said, "Because you're always spending so much time with Layla. Lately it seems like you don't even want to hang out with Theia and I anymore!"

Jay's facial expression changed from concern to anger. "Is that why you've been mad at me? Because I've been spending time with my girlfriend? Seriously Ophelia?" He said, raising his voice. Jay wasn't speaking in a calm and soft tone anymore. "And to think I thought you were mad at me because I did something wrong." I scoffed.

Is he serious right now?! "You could have at least made some time for us!" I argued.

"Well if you...if you just told me how you felt then maybe I would have!" Tears were forming in my eyes and my hands were balled into fists. "You don't have anything to say to that do you? You know that I'm right. This whole thing could have been avoided if you just talked to me." It hurt so much when I heard Jay say that because he was right.

"Okay, I get it! You're right! I should have told you how I was feeling but that doesn't give you a right to yell at me!" Now tears were flowing down my cheeks. My vision was blurred by my tears.

"Oh my gosh, Ophelia...I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me, I...I didn't mean to-." He said realizing what he just did.

Jay walked towards me and tried to comfort me. I pushed him away and said, "Just leave me alone!" Theia ran over to where we were standing. She saw me crying then looked at Jay. "Theia I—" Theia almost slapped him but instead put her arm around me.

"Are you okay, what happened?"

"Nothing happened. I'm fine." I said.

"You don't look fine." I cut her off.

"I said I'm fine." I said in a stern voice.

"Ophelia," Jay looked really sorry.

I took Theia's arm off my shoulder and glared at him. "I said I'm fine so everyone just leave me alone!"

I stormed off to the bathroom. I went into a stall and put my face in my hands. I heard the bathroom door and assumed it was Theia. I stood up and walked out of the stall. When I saw who entered the bathroom it wasn't who I expected.

"Matthew, what are you doing in the women's bathroom?"

"I just wanted to check on you and see if you were okay. I don't know what happened but I heard yelling and saw you storm off." He said.

I sighed and said, "No, I'm not fine."

I couldn't keep denying it. Matthew gave me a hug. We stayed there for a moment. Once we both pulled away I told him what had happened. I talked and Matt listened. It was nice. After we finished talking we left the bathroom and returned to the bonfire. Mrs. Suader pulled me to the side and asked me to explain what happened. When I told her she told me that I shouldn't have run off and that I should have handled the situation more maturely. I agreed that I wouldn't run off again and Mrs. Suader let me go. It looked like Mr. Landon was talking to Jay. It was almost eight thirty so we were told to go to our cabins and get ready for bed.