Ophelia

After school ended, Matthew asked me to meet him in the parking lot. When I went outside I didn't see him. "Looking for someone?" A voice asked. My heart jumped and I turned around to see Theia standing behind me.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me." I told her with my hand over my heart.

"Sorry." Theia said laughing.

"Matt told me to meet him out here but I don't see him."

"Why'd he wanted to meet you?"

"I don't know, he wouldn't give me any hints either." I said, crossing my arms.

"I have to go but I'm sure he'll be here soon."

"Bye, Theia!" She waved goodbye and drove away. Shortly after Theia left, Matthew arrived.

"Sorry I took so long." He said. "I had to get something from my locker. I got this for you." Matt handed me a brown box. It had a sticker on it saying it was from Duke of Dough donuts.

"I love this place! Their donuts are so good!" I opened the box. There was a message inside the top of the box that said: "roses are red, violets are blue, donuts are the bomb, do me a favor and come with me to..." I looked at the four donuts in the little square box and they each had a letter on them.

I looked up and Matthew asked, "Prom?"

"Absolutely!" I answered. Matt smiled brightly and handed me a rose. "Aww, this is so sweet. Thank you for the rose and the donuts." I couldn't wait for prom.

. . .

Prom night came before I knew it. I had everything ready and set the night before. Matt texted me that he would pick me up at 6:50 pm in the car he had rented for prom. The theme of our prom was starry night so I wore a sparkly navy jumpsuit with black boots. I decided to just keep my hair as it was, in an afro. I also had a black purse to hold my phone and to smuggle food in. I didn't put much makeup on other than foundation, mascara, and neutral colored eyeshadow. I heard the doorbell ring and I raced downstairs to answer it but my dad beat me to it.

"Hi, you must be Matthew." My dad said. "It's nice to meet you." He held out his hand.

Matt shook it and said, "It's nice to meet you too, sir."

"Well don't just stand there, come on in!" My mom said,

We all moved out of the way so he could come in. Matthew stepped inside and we all sat at the table. He was wearing a navy suit with a navy bowtie. Elijah sat next to me, my mom sat next to my dad, and Matt sat next to my dad as well. My mom and dad talked with Matthew for a while until my mom declared it was time for pictures. He and I stood at the door. Matt handed me a corsage that had cream and navy flowers on it. I put it on my wrist. My mom told us to pose so Matthew put his hand on my lower back but after a look from my dad he removed his hand. After my mom took lots of pictures it was finally time for us to leave.

"Stay safe and send lots of pictures, okay?" My dad told me.

"I will, I love you mom and dad!" I told them.

"Love you too, have fun!" They said to me back.

I was about to leave the doorstep but then Elijah asked, "Hey, wait, what about me?"

"I love you too, Lije." We both smiled too and did our brother-sister handshake. I hopped into the 1964 Lincoln convertible that Matt rented and then we drove to the venue.