Chapter XII - ❝ Slipping Away❞

A love, strong as steel. The bond could last forever. The words "I love you" slips from his mouth, as they walk into Elissi's ballroom. She hides the dark truth as she tells him she loves him too. And in truth, she loves him more than anything, but what is she hiding?

"I love you more than words could ever describe." Elissi replies, feeling closer to him than she has ever been... Literally, she's pressed up against him. She can hear his heartbeat escalating.

"Percy, why is your heart beating so fast?"

"I.. uhm.. I.. no reason.." He backs away quickly, realizing that his heart is beating as fast as a butterfly's wings. Elissi laughs as she sees him turning red.

"You're quite adorable, you know that?"

"Haha, so I've been told.."

"Is something wrong? You're as red as a tomato."

"I.. I know. I'm just.. You're so beautiful.. Hey, do you remember when we first met, when we were just children?"

"Of course, how could I forget? You asked me to dance, it was quite memorable, after you spilled punch all over my dress."

"Haha, yeah well... May I have this dance?" He does an overdramatic bow, his hand extended out for Elissi to take. She grabs his hand and they dance, no music whatsoever.

"This is quite awkward, there's no music!"

"Well then.. We'll just have to make do, won't we?" He spins her around, dipping her, carefully making sure not to drop her. He looks into her eyes as she is still in his arms. They laugh and he puts her back down.

"You're.. You're so beautiful, El."

"I.. uhm... thank you, Percy."

"Is something troubling you?"

"Uhm.. no, I just remembered something. I have to go." She begins to make her way up to her room.

"I.. Okay."

"You can see yourself out."

"Bye El! I love you."

"Uh-huh." She goes into her room and locks the door. Perseus leaves, feeling as though he had done something wrong. He immediately makes his way to Tallulah and Daxton's manor, urgently wanting to figure out what was wrong. When he reaches their manor, he knocks very loudly until Daxton appears in front him, beyond confused.

"Perce, what are you doing here?"

"I... I need your help."

"Whatever for?"

"Something is wrong with Elissi.. She seems off."

"What do you mean by 'off'? You've got to be more specific, women are awfully confusing."

"She's distant. There's something she isn't telling me. I fear something is wrong."

"Well, why don't you come in and we can discuss this further."

"Okay." They walk into Daxton's study and they both take a seat.

"So what's wrong with your mistress?"

"She isn't my mistress, I just care about her a great deal!"

"Uh-huh, sure. But seriously, what's wrong?"

"Well gosh, I don't know. That's the whole reason I came here, wasn't it?"

"I can't help you, but maybe my wife can." They go to Tallulah's boudoir to see if she knows what has happened.

"Hey, darling. May Perseus and I speak to you?"

"Give me a minute, I'm finishing up a chapter in The Woodlanders."

"Alrighty, meet us in the parlor." They leave, giving her a moment, knowing that if they'd interfered with her reading, they'd be doomed. She comes out only a few minutes later.

"Okay, I'm here. Now what is it that you boys need?"

"Perseus needs help with his mistress."

"For the last time Daxton, she isn't my mistress!"

"If you say so.."

"What has happened with my dear friend El?" Tallulah asks, worried.

"I don't know, I was hoping that you'd have a clue."

"Me? Well I've not a single inkling."

"Is that so? Might you find out? I'm most deeply worried."

"If there were something wrong, I'm sure she'd come to me."

"Please, Lu. You know I wouldn't be asking you if it weren't something that would render your concern."

"I suppose you're right. I'll try to see if anything seems out of the ordinary."

"Thank you.. Thank you so much, Lu!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm going to go over to Elissi's manor, so you can stop bothering me."

"Okay, I'll talk to you soon."

"Mhm.." She walks away, completely done with men.

"Well, I guess I'll just have to wait now."

"Yeah, but since you're already here, would you like to stay for supper?"

"If you'll allow it." They have supper and talk about many upcoming events.

-

Later That Evening

As Tallulah makes her way back into the manor, Daxton and Perseus crowd over her, asking her too many questions at once. She walks into the dining room, almost as if they weren't there. Until finally, Perseus breaks.

"Lu, talk to me! Why has Elissi seemed so distant?"

"She.. I can't say."

"Come on, just tell me already! I can't go another minute. She's everything to me, I need to know so that maybe, just maybe, I can fix this."

"Okay, okay, step away from me for a bit, would you?"

"Sorry." He takes a few steps back, giving her space.

"Okay, this'll be hard for you to understand."

"Oh come on, Lu! Just tell me already."

"She's engaged..."