Chapter XIII - ❝The Day Of Hearts❞

At the crack of dawn, everyone wakes up, ready for the new day. This day, out of every day in the year is one of the most important. It's a day where a woman meets a man and they find love within each other. What is this day of true endearment? It's the day of hearts.

"Elissi! We're here!" Tallulah screams at the top of her lungs. She is gathered by all of her friends. They wait impatiently outside of Elissi's front door, wanting her to open up so that they can discuss the day's plans.

"Okay, okay, I'm here! Come on in." They all shuffle in, loudly talking over one another.

"GUYS! CALM DOWN. We need to discuss what we are going to do today!" Tallulah says, making sure that she is heard. They all take a seat, excited for the day to begin.

"Well, since it's February 14, the day of l-o-v-e.. I say we go down to the market and find ourselves some love!" Howl cries, wanting to find someone to share his hopes and dreams with, desperately. He'd given up on any chance with Violet, so he's trying to revive himself. All of the friends agree and they begin their trip down to the marketplace, where a festival has just begun.

"Wow! They've really outdone themselves this year.. Ooh look, Rose! They're playing the pianoforte. Come on, let's go!" Tallulah grabs Rosalynn's hand and takes her over to the music area.

"Ugh! Let's meet back here in an hour, everyone." Rosalynn says, clearly pissed. A clutter of regards are sent to them as they all part ways. Delilah finds herself by a fruit stand, looking for the ripest apple to eat.

"How much are the Honeycrisp apples?"

"They are two pounds a bag, ma'am."

"And the Granny Smiths?"

"Two pounds as well."

"I'll take one bag of Honeycrisps and one bag of Granny Smiths, please."

"Of course, ma'am." Delilah pays for the apples and goes to look for an activity to do. As she begins to walk, she bumps into someone.

"Oh dear, I'm so very sorry. Are you alright?" She asks, scared that she had caused great trouble.

"I'm more than alright, darling." To her surprise, it's Ryder. As she takes a moment to blush, he picks up the apples that have fallen. She snaps back into reality and picks up the rest.

"I.. Ryder. I'm so sorry for my clumsiness."

"Why, there's no need to apologize. I find it quite ravishing. I haven't had this much excitement in a while." He grins, hoping he'd make her smile.

"Well in that case.." She playfully punches his arm and laughs as he skittishly plays along, acting as though he'd been hurt a great deal.

"We should probably get off of the ground, it's quite dirty." He stands, dusting off his knees. Once he was certain there was no grass or dirt left, he extended a hand out for Delilah to take, lifting her up. She brushes off her dress.

"Would you like to accompany me in the search for entertainment at this festival?" She's never found festivals like these fun because they were just an excuse for money to be spent. Violet and Asher-Timothy find themselves in front of many pieces of art being auctioned off by the townspeople. Violet walks over to a large painting with the portrait of a woman's face, not knowing that Asher-Timothy was around. He walks up behind her.

"Hey Vi." He boasts, in the friendliess tone he could muster. She jumps, startled. Then uses her elbow, hitting Asher-Timothy in the gut then swings her leg back, tripping him. She grabs his arm and dislocates his shoulder, leaving him weak.

"Ow. What was that for?!" Asher-Timothy exclaims, in much pain.

"Asher-Timothy Harris! Why in the diddly-darn would you do that? You know I've got quick reflexes that could hurt you." She helps him up, being careful to not harm him any more than she already did.

"I was trying to be cute.. I... OW F-" He hears a loud crack from his shoulder. Violet had just relocated his shoulder.

"Ou- wait.. That was actually quite nice. I feel so much better now. Thanks for not killing me."

"You're most certainly welcome, Asher-Timothy Harris, the dim-wit."

"Okay, okay I deserve that. But you know I don't like it when people call me by my full name."

"I know. I just wanted to make a point. I'm not messing around, Ash."

"You've made your point. Loud and clear."

"Haha, good." She looks him dead in the eyes, with a death stare, and scares him, just a little more.

"I.. would you like to take another look at these paintings? Or shall we join the others?" He says, desperate to change the subject.

"We've still got a few minutes. Come, live a little."

"Oka-" She yanks his arm, leading him to a pen filled with piglets.

"Woah! Where are you taking me?"

"To see the piglets! Obviously." She rolls her eyes. He should know by now that her favorite part of the fair was always watching the little piglets run around.

"Why?"

"Because sometimes they trip and flip over. It's hilarious."

"Violet Evergarden! How could you say such a thing?"

"Have you actually SEEN them trip over themselves? Hmm?"

"I.. n- no."

"Okay, well then hush up and watch their little bums trip and fall."

"I'm... Yes, darling." They watch the piglets go. On the other side of the market however... Perseus tries to talk to Elissi.