CHAPTER XX - ❝A New Darkness❞

When they finished their classes and everyone had left, Elissi pulled Perseus to the side and asked him about his trip.

"Percy, you can't keep me in the dark anymore. What happened in Azalea?"

"I... It was a failed attempt, El. There was no way to sway the king's decision. I'm sorry." He tries to lean in to kiss her as an apology and as a goodbye, but she steps back and walks away.

"El... Please come back, I don't want to leave you like this!" She turns around, tears falling from her face.

"You should leave, go to Princess Genevieve, I'm sure that she will give you all you need. I know that it's selfish of me to want the king to let you and I be together, so please just leave before it hurts the both of us and our people even more."

"Okay El, whatever you say. But please know.. Please know that I love you, and I will never stop loving you."

"Goodbye Perseus."

"Goodbye Elissi." Elissi walks away, thinking that Perseus would just leave without questioning her decision or trying to find another way, but she was wrong. As soon as she went inside, Percy went straight to Ryder to ask him something.

"Perce, what are you doing here?"

"Hello Ryder, I have a question."

"What is your question?"

"Does the king of Azalea have any other children besides Genevieve?"

"Well of course, Prince Maxwell. And he's in town right now, visiting Howl. Why do you ask?"

"I need to ask him a favor. Do you know where he might be right now?"

"Howl and Emily said they were going to take Maxwell to the Heart Garden."

"Thank you, my friend." Perseus pats Ryder on the back and leaves to go to the Heart Garden. Meanwhile, Cameron and Vincent meet at the stream where the country gets most of their water from in a province that isn't far from Primrose.

"Cameron, you made it, my friend."

"Why of course, Vince. I didn't want to miss an opportunity like this."

"Yes, yes. Well, why don't we just take these barrels and pour them in before we get caught? Then we can talk. Hmm?"

"Right, right." The two of them take the barrels of a mysterious liquid and dump it into the stream. It is clear, so there is no difference in color.

"Alrighty, now that we have completed our first task, we wait. In the morn, we can go to the manor and take the two ladies."

"How do you know this will work, Vince?"

"I have my sources, they will all be together tonight." They leave the stream and make their way to Primrose. As this happens, Perseus approaches Howl, Emily, and Maxwell.

"Hey Howl!"

"Perseus.. What a pleasant surprise! I believe you've met Maxwell? And of course my darling, Emily."

"Yes, yes, I remember quite well. You wouldn't mind if I spoke to Maxwell, would you?"

"No, not at all." Howl and Emily walk away so that the two gentlemen can talk.

"How can I help you, Perseus?"

"You're the prince of Azalea correct?"

"That I am."

"I need your help."

"With what?"

"Well, you see.. Elissi and I want to be together, but I have an obligation to your sister. I was wondering if you could somehow convince your father to let me fall out of this marriage? And that way, Elissi and I can be together and your sister is very beautiful, I'm sure that she will find someone that can help her greatly."

"You have an obligation to my sister, why would you ever break that? My father has obvious plans for her to be a great princess, maybe queen. He's entrusted you and your family to keep her safe and help her. I am not one to meddle with such plans."

"I understand, but is there any way that you would consider asking him? It may change his decision."

"If that means that you'll stop asking me, then sure."

"I will, thank you Maxwell."

"Of course." But as soon as Perseus leaves, Maxwell mumbles under his breath...

"Like I would ever ask my father to give you a chance to be with her."