XLI

- Dan -
There was a lot of commotion before the rescue was actually put into action. People rushing around, checking and rechecking escape routs, backup plans and the like. I hung around the car at the chief's request, just watching. I didn't want to get into the middle of it anyways.

Still, standing there and being able to see the damned structure holding her from me just across the way, less than a mile across the field in front of us, was making me extremely restless and frustrated. I shifted from foot to foot and waited anxiously for the signal to be given, for someone to say, "Here we go, time to break her out of there."

The chief sauntered over to me for a few minutes. "You're not going to get in the middle of the mess, got it?" he said gruffly. I nodded, not taking my gaze from her prison. "But I'll allow you to stand at the back of the lines. Maybe you can...," he coughed uncomfortably, "I don't know, calm her down or something if she comes out panicked. We don't know what she's gone through, or what it'll take to get her out, alright?"

"Yeah, thanks. I'll do that," I replied quickly, just wanting to be left alone again.

He nodded to himself and uncrossed his arms, stomping away to throw some more orders around. I stared down the building as it stood deceivingly silent. I scowled at it and scuffed my shoe.

After fifteen or twenty more minutes of preparation, I noticed officers being sent to position. I tensed, glancing around almost waiting for someone to tell me not to move. I took a few steps out into the clearing and made my way discreetly toward the edges of the cover.

I crouched beside a tree, eyeing where they'd be going in and the back exit they predicted her father would use. The chief appeared beside me wordlessly and I tried my best to ignore him. "Here we go," he hissed.

The lines of men hurtled forward across the lawn and everything became a blur. I scanned the edges for any sign of movement not dressed in the sea of uniforms. Doors were kicked in, shouting heard and my nerves nearly burst with the tension.

Then a horrible sound filled my ears. Shots had been fired. I nearly bolted further down the field, but the chief held me back. Inaudible shouting ensued and I couldn't keep track of who was doing what, only that she hadn't come out yet.

The sight of the heavy layers of men parting was nearly enough to make me bolt. I cast a questioning look at the chief, who reluctantly nodded me on after a moment. I took off across the field, stopping only when the edge of the thick ring of men wouldn't part for me.

I ran around and found the opening, looking down the aisle they'd created. The first one being hauled down was him. I felt my heart harden just looking at him, and his limp figure draped between two officers made me maliciously happy. But all of that drained from me when I saw Cassidy walking out, escorted by more officers.

She had a thick blanket wrapped around her, more for comfort than real warmth. Her gaze was toward the ground and her face looked gaunt and exhausted. She was so fragile and she seemed barely able to lift her feet. Bruises littered what I could see of her skin and I felt close to crying with relief, however angry I was.

One man held me back as I tried to step into the way, giving me a tiny shake of the head, "No." I tore my arm from his grip and stepped out.

"Cassie..." I breathed, standing still. I noticed her head twitch and she finally lifted her eyes. Our gazes locked and she smiled, a tired, sad smile. She reached up and wiped a small tear, nodding once, then again, until she was in a hysterical nodding fit.

When they were close enough, she stepped out from between the officers and fell into me. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her tight to me. I sighed shakily and buried my face in her hair.

I'd never planned on this. Neither of us had. But life never really seems to go as expected, does it? I decided to focus on what was right now, in front of me. At that moment, it was her, and that was all I could've asked for. I'd never let her go again. Even if they pried her from my stiff, cold arms, they could never take her from my mind. I was ready.

- Cassidy -
Words couldn't describe the relief that flooded me when I saw him. He wrapped me in his arms and I was able to pretend that it was only us and nothing had ever changed. That I wasn't recovering from beatings and mental breakdowns, and that he wasn't going away to prison. But by the end, I knew I had to be ready to let him go. Eventually, I was.