XXII

- Dan -

I grabbed my coat on the way out. Somehow, I managed to get Cassidy into the car, however awkwardly. I had a sickening sense of traveling to my doom as I drove away. I glanced at her constantly, slumped down in the back seat, still pale as a ghost.

How could you have caused this?

What have you done?

She's going to die, and it'll be all your fault.

Ruthless thoughts tumbled around in my head, driving me insane. I couldn't even reach over to turn on the radio, though. It reminded me too much of how she'd done that the first night.

The hospital parking lot was near empty as I pulled in, parking as close to the entrance as I could. I got out and immediately shivered, an unexpected chill seeping through to my bones. The November weather was sneaking in, promises of snow hanging in the air. I rubbed my hands together and hoisted Cassie out of the car and into my arms. I kicked the door shut with my heel.

"I look ridiculous. I look ridiculous. I look ridiculous," I repeated under my breath as I jogged toward the doors, trying not to jostle her too much, my self-conscious and embarrassment kicking in even now. I began worrying about getting in as I neared the building. Thank God for automatic doors. I hardly waited for them to open fully as I rushed into the lobby.

"Help!" I called into the echoey room. I set Cassie down on the large couch and ran up to the front desk. I flicked the bell impatiently. "Hello? I need help!"

A flustered nurse appeared. She reached up and fixed her hair before sitting down at the desk. "Yes, sir? What can I—?" she began to ask.

I cut her off. "Yes, my... friend, she's unconscious over on the couch. I think it's infected," I rushed through, not clearly explaining much.

"Oh... uh, well... Hold on a moment please." The nurse stood up, peering over the counter to glance at Cassidy before returning to the room she'd come from. I paced about the room, but my heart jumped when I heard Cassie mumble something.

"Cassie!" I rushed to her, turning her to face me. "Wake up, Cassie."

Her eyes drooped half open and her forehead was still shiny with sweat. "Dan..." she murmured, twisting her features, obviously uncomfortable. She choked out the next few words, so quietly I wouldn't have been able to hear them had there been more people in the room.

"I forgive you."

I barely had time to digest the words before commotion exploded. A doctor and a few nurses came over, leaning over Cassie and checking her over. They exchanged words in hushed, concerned voices and then brought a stretcher over.

They loaded Cassie onto it, securing her and getting her ready to transport. A man swept me to the side, despite my protests. I couldn't keep my eyes off of Cassie getting wheeled away.

"Sir," he said. "Your friend does appear to be in bad condition. I'm going to need you to tell me some things so that we can give her the best care. Alright?" I shifted on my feet, nervous and not ready to let her go. I finally managed a nod as she disappeared behind swinging doors. I felt as if the air in my lungs had gone with her.