XX

I got dressed, finding some deodorant and a clean shirt, and tried to do something with my hair. Of course, that only meant taking it out of its ponytail and putting it back in. [the struggle of frizzy, thick hair I’m telling you] Thankfully, Dan seemed to busy himself out in the rest of the apartment and didn’t bother me. I don’t know what I would’ve done if he’d poked his head in and tried to talk to me.

I could barely sort out my own feelings, let alone his predicament.

I groaned. Oh right. That. I was going to have to deal with this mess today, no matter what. I must have been “missing” for at least two days now. I’d have to call my mother and let her know I wasn’t being held ransom, dead, or worse. (I shuddered, not wanting to imagine the possibilities.)

I took another minute to attempt to collect myself before opening the door. I was startled to find the smell of cooking food in the air. I curiously stepped down the hall and looked around the corner.

Dan was standing in the kitchen in front of the stove, nursing a frying pan with eggs in it.

He looked at me sheepishly, realizing I was there. “Sorry, I found the eggs and I thought…?” he trailed off. “Want some?”

I strained, short laugh bubbled out of me. I cleared my throat. “Er… Sure, thanks?” I couldn’t believe my eyes.

He flashed a grin and turned back to the stove. He reached his hand in the drawer, fishing around for a spatula and using it to flip the eggs sizzling in the pan. I decided not to question how he’d known where the drawer of utensils was for conservation of my sanity.

I awkwardly went into the living room, tidying up the couch. When I came across his jacket, I delicately picked it up, feeling inside to make sure the gun was still there, and draped it over the arm of the couch. I let out the breath I didn’t know I’d been holding and straightened up. The sooner this is over, the better, I reminded myself.

Soon enough, Dan called me in for the eggs. “I hope you like over-easy,” he said with a smile.

I smiled at the floor, taking the paper plate he gave me. “Thanks, Dan,” I murmured.

We both sat down on the couch, eating in silence. He surprised me by blurting out, “It’s not waffles, but it’s something, right?”

I blinked. “Oh… yeah. Thanks.”

We finished up but I didn’t let him take my plate. I snatched his out of his hand, though, taking it to the trash. I briefly wondered where the spontaneous joker in me had come from, but I grinned as I walked away, leaving him gaping at me.

I jumped as he snuck up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. He brought his mouth close to my ear and whispered, “You’re welcome.” I shivered, not wanting to turn around and wanting to spin around as fast as I could, at the same time.

“Dan… We need to talk.”

I felt him shut down, knowing the peace was ending. I couldn’t believe I’d let it last this long.

I stepped away from him and turned to face him, crossing my arms. “Listen… We’re going to go to the police today. I’m going to tell them I’m not missing. I won’t be pressing charges against you for kidnapping, alright?” He looked away, nodding. “I don’t know what’s going to happen. You’ll probably be investigated, and they might enforce a restraining order or something. I don’t know,” I started rambling. “Just promise you’ll let me move on with my life. We can get over this, and you can have a good life. You can try again. I know you’re—”

“Cassie,” he blurted, cutting me off. “Thank you, really. Are you sure you want to do this, though?”

“What, let you go?” I asked incredulously.

“Yes. I don’t know if they’ll let me back into my job, what with the distrust and everything. I did steal their files. That’s a federal crime. I won’t have anything to go to.” He sighed. “Maybe I’d just be better off in prison.”

“No!” I said, stepping up to him and grabbing his hands. “I don’t want to do that. You haven’t hurt me—” I ignored the pointed look he gave my side, “—so I don’t want to inflict something like that on your life. Just let me do this.” I didn’t want to be responsible for sending someone to jail when they didn’t truly hurt me that much.

“Alright,” Dan concluded quietly, pulling his hands out of mine.

Suddenly, it was as if just letting go of him had taken away my support system. My legs weakened and I gasped, falling to my knees. Dan shouted something, catching me before I hit the ground. I couldn’t hear him. A piercing ringing had clogged my ears and my cold sweat returned.

“Dan!” I choked out before I collapsed.