V

We'd driven for nearly an hour until Dan pulled into a parking lot. I stretched and looked around. It looked like a run-down, old police department.

"Dan... is this where you work?" I asked skeptically.

He shifted. "Um, well, actually, no, it's not where I work. In fact it's not even the correct department. But I can contact mine from here. You see, the undercover work requires a lot of secrecy." He nodded after finishing, then climbed out of the car.

I raised an eyebrow, but remained in my seat. He came around the side of the car. "You don't need to come out," he insisted. "I'll be a few minutes." He tossed me the keys through the window. "Feel free to turn on the radio now," he winked.

My stomach tightened and I glanced away. "Thanks. Don't be too long."

Dan nodded thoughtfully before sauntering away from the car into the building. I sat still in the car for a few minutes, just thinking. I sighed and sat up better in my seat, looking around for something of interest. Something curious caught my eye near the windows.

I squinted, but I couldn't qutie make out what it was. It looked like a small poster, with a photo on it. The lettering was large, but not large enough. I opened the door and crept closer. 

My stomach started doing flips as I got closer. "What...?" I murmured, stepping onto the porch. 

MISSING! the words at the top read. My fingers went numb as I saw the next few words.

                                               MISSING!
                                    CASSIDY MEREDITH
                                  Last seen: November 4
                          REWARD FOR SAFE RETURN
AND ANY INFORMATION REGARDING DISAPPEARANCE

I stumbled back from the sign, my thoughts spinning. I thought they knew him... He said he was a detective! They must know! If anything, they wouldn't have put up a missing sign!

I saw movement in the window beside me and soon Dan came out. "Are... Are you okay?" he asked nervously. "You look—" 

I interrupted him, pointing violently at the poster. "What is this? What's going on? I thought they knew about you! That you had me, and you were going to... going to..." I groaned, pacing around the porch. "I don't know! What is this?" I repeated angrily.

Dan blinked at me, wide-eyed and growing pale. "I... I..." he said, not possibly coming up with a sentence. Finally he mentally slapped himself. "They do! If your stalker thinks you've already been taken, then he might—" 

"Who?" I blurted. "My... my stalker. My kidnapper. Who exactly is that? Who are you? You never showed me a badge!" I screamed. "You never—!"

Dan took about three long strides to reach me and grabbed my arms, pinning them down. He brought his face close to mine, hissing dangerously, "Just. Shut. Up. Trust me."

I gulped and stared into his eyes, trying to find the confidence that had just drained from me.

We stood in that stalemate for quite some time before he jerked me to the side, dragging me down the steps. I screamed, thrashing my arms. I glanced back at the police department and noticed something that nearly left me immobile.

It was absolutely and completely empty. I was alone.

Dan stormed to the car and yanked open the door. He shoved me in, my limbs bending painfully. By the time I'd righted myself, he'd already closed the door and made it to the other side. I took one deep breath and lunged for the keys still in the driver's seat where I'd left them. I slammed my thumb down on the buttons and locked the car just seconds before Dan's hand pulled on the handle.

I saw his face tense up. He remained still for a few moments, just staring at the door handle, not moving. Then he slowly glanced up through the window. 

His eyes weren't blue anymore. They were ice.

I'm so excited about this. It's taken a very different turn than what I'd expected, but I'm going with it! I hope you enjoy! Suggestions of any kind are appreciated.