XXX

We pulled up in the driveway and forgotten thoughts filtered back into my head. Mom... I thought with a grimace. She was going to be furious.

I got out of the car by myself and met Lizzie around the front of it. I hugged her tightly. "Thank you so much. You... you'd probably want to go home now."

"Why?" she asked. "I want to—" she started.

"No," I cut her off. "Seriously. Mom's... She's going to be angry with me. You don't need to be there, okay?"

Lizzie pouted. "Okay... Call me soon, kay?" I nodded silently and hugged her again, making sure she got back in the car.

Then I made my way up to the door and took a deep breath, preparing myself. I barely had time to close it behind me before I heard an angry shout. "Where the hell have you been?" my mother cursed a few feet away.

"Mom..." I started, sighing.

"Don't you give me any excuses, Cassidy. You are not well enough to leave this house—You scared me half to death!" She stormed over to me and yanked my arm, pulling me towards the couch. "Sit down!" I sat, not saying a word. "You are in so much trouble."

I gritted my teeth, staring angrily at the floor. I'd endured this enough during childhood—I was so done. I wasn't about to endure it any more. "Mom," I said quietly.

"You've never listened to me, Cassidy," she continued blindly. "Well, you'd better start now. I'm getting your life back on track whether you like it or not."

"Mom."

"I never should have let you out of my sight. You're going to be staying here with me for the next week—no, two weeks!"

"Mom!" I nearly screamed. I stood up from the couch sharply, jerking my finger toward her. "No, you listen! I'm an adult now, and I make my own decisions! You had your time to control me—now it's over. You didn't do too well of a job, you know," I laughed cruelly. "I don't care what you think. My life is my life now. I'm going to that freaking trial if it kills me!" Mom's eyes widened and she started to say something, but I continued, not letting her in. "I want you to get out and leave me alone! I get it—you don't understand. Nobody does. Hell, I don't even understand it!" I threw my arms up. "But... he... this thing is so much more complicated that you realize. I promised him!" I started crying, getting hysterical. "I have to take care of him. He took care of me. Don't you see?" I sobbed. "I care. I've always cared. He's so confused. So innocent. He needs me. I need him. I just... love... him..."

I clenched my fists, crying uncontrollably now. Mom just stood there, dumbstruck. I screamed in frustration and tore out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I stood outside in the driveway in blind emotions, glancing every which way. I took a few steps before collapsing in a heap.

I laid there for a long time. Mom didn't come out to get me. Part of me wanted her to. Another part was finally satisfied. When I collected myself, wiping the dirt from my hands and the tears from my cheeks, I took a long, slow, shaky breath. The trial was in less than two weeks. I was nearly ready, but not quite. I had work to do.