XVII

“Business,” I nodded quietly. “I need to deal with this,” I told him, gesturing to my side, “but I’m sure it’ll heal in a few days.

Dan swallowed, not meeting my eyes. He seemed just as uncomfortable as I felt.

“You’re going to sleep on the couch,” I continued. “We’ll figure out things more tomorrow.”

I ran an exhausted hand through my hair and tried to prepare myself to get up. It was going to hurt. I gritted my teeth, putting my hands behind me to push myself upright. Dan startled and rushed over to me. “Cassie, wait,” he breathed, wrapping his hands under my arms. “Let me help you.”

I tried to loosen up, thinking it probably wouldn’t hurt as much if I were limp. I still kept my hands where they were.

“Ready?” Dan asked, his breath hot on my ear. I tried to shove the thought away, nodding.

He tensed and pulled, myself pushing my arms with him. We rocketed up and forward, nearly falling over, but Dan steadied me and we both stood still, me practically wrapped in his arms and him holding me awkwardly. I could feel his heartbeat thumping beneath his shirt.

The fiery pain from my side was what brought me back from the daze.

I stepped away as steadily as I could and coughed. “Alright, you’ve got blankets, pillows. Anything else you might so desire?” I snapped coldly, startling myself. I was more annoyed with myself than anything.

Dan blinked, hesitating a moment before shaking his head. “No, thank you.”

I nodded decidedly and said “Goodnight,” heading down the hall.

I didn’t tell him it was only five thirty.

- Dan -
She must have felt it too, the draw when we’d been so close. I still felt weighed down with so much guilt over what I’d done, but when she’d let me kiss her… Maybe she could forgive me.

I’d never gotten so upset as to contemplate something as dire as that, and I felt sure I would’ve done it had she not saved me. I laid on the couch for longer than I could tell, just thinking about that. About how much she meant to me, how grateful I was for her.

And of course how much I wanted to kiss her again.

It was a ridiculous thought, I realized, considering just hours ago I hadn’t even known her name and my only intention was self-sufficient. But I supposed that was why I had found her file in the first place. Something about us together, whether that was romantically or not, was meant to be. I hoped it would last, and that it was something pleasant for both of us. I’d never felt so drawn to someone before, and not many other people were able to put up with me for very long. I liked being liked, even if it was questionable.

I couldn’t sleep, my mind racing and my body tossing and turning. It might have had to do with the fact that it was barely six o’clock at night. But I didn’t tell her that.