Susurration

Susurration - an indistinct sound, as of whispering or rustling

A gust of wind blew through the room, the curtains running away from the window on a chain. I felt the wind tickle my face, the window must be open, either Dream left it open or the wind pushed it open. I grumbled uncontently, despite being under a mound of blankets it was still cold, like the winter had taken a grasp on my blood. I snuck my head under the blankets, maybe if my head was under it would warm my veins up.

"Why am I so damn cold all the time," I hissed quietly, not wanting to wake Dream from his slumber. I didn't need him fusing over me tonight, "It's not even that cold outside."

I turned over to my left, throwing the blankets off me, I sat up and dangled my feet off the bed. If I couldn't get rid of the cold feeling, I might as well get used to it. Glancing over at Dream, I got off the bed, and stood up. My bare feet hit the floor and I flinched as a cold chill went up my spine, it felt like dumping into an ice bath. After the shivering fit passed I took a few considerate steps forward, trying to remember where every creak in the room was. It took a bit to get to the slightly open door, but it was worth it, Dream didn't even wake up which was a huge plus for me. I slowly opened the door, wincing and looking back at Dream as it creaked. Once I made sure Dream hadn't heard it and was still asleep, like the light sleeper he was, I snuck through the opening I had made with the door.

I crept along the edge of the hallway, sticking to the shadows whom I blended in. Even with my pale purple clothes and my white hair I could use the shadows as an advantage, it was an ability Ma and Pa hadn't been able to explain when I first found out at age 6 when I was sneaking food at night. I heard a voice at the end of the hall, it sounded like Mom's, it had a concerning edge to it, like she was talking about a matter of life and death. Another voice accompanied it, it sounded like that one doctor that kept checking in on me when I was sick. I crept closer, pressing my back against the wall of shadows when I entered the room. It seemed they were talking about something important, I tried to get closer to listen in, I heard my name be mentioned.

"What do you mean he's still sick?" Ma asked, her tone kept getting more concerned as she said each word. I felt a lurch in my stomach when she said 'sick', I knew she must be talking about me.

"He has an unstable, yet deadly condition," The doctor explained, "It lingers in his very blood system and we don't have a known cure for it." I blinked, what was this condition? And how did or would it affect my life?

"Do you know what it is?" I got a glimpse of Ma's eyes, they were glistening with grief and concern. I gulped, I had never seen her like this, she was usually quiet and knowledgeable, seeing her like this just didn't seem right.

"We believe it's cold agglutinin disease," The doctor had a tone of worry in his voice, I didn't know why. What was this type of disease, and what did it do?

I took a shaky breath, they must've heard me because they looked in my direction, "Who's there, come out." I heard my Mom say. I nervously walked out of the shadows, I saw the doctor and my Ma's face stiffen, they must've realized I heard what they were saying, "N-night, what do you need, sweety?"

I blinked, was she really going to ignore that fact that they were hiding my death from me, "Am I going to die?" I took a few shaky breaths and turned my hands into fists, I wasn't going to let this pass.

"No, of course not," I felt the lie slip off her tongue with ease, the negativity from her was suffocating me. I stared into her eyes with a questioning look, I could feel her grow extremely uncomfortable, "Atleast, you're not going to because we'll find a cure."

"Okay..." I still didn't feel at ease with this answer, they said it was in my blood and as far as I was concerned it wouldn't have a cure because of it. I sighed, "Is there anything else I should be concerned about?"

My mother smiled sorrowfully and sighed, "No dear, now let's get you back to bed." I felt her take my small hand and drag me along, I started walking alongside her not wanting to pull a muscle in my arm. As we neared the door to mine and Dream's room I felt my body collapse from exhaustion, then my entire world went black.