Lugubrious

Lugubrious - excessively mournful

These past few weeks have been rocky switching between hospital and home or town. The medication I was taking wasn't working, but I wasn't going to tell Dream or the doctors that I liked keeping my pain to myself. What was even worse was that whenever Dream wasn't looking or with me outside a ''stray'' rock or any other item like a ball of crumpled up paper, a stick or any other object at me. I got a glimpse of a few people once or twice but other than that it was just laughter, one person had decided to verbally shoot at me once but then I never saw them again. This felt like it added a weight to my soul, hurting it even more, I had kept thinking about Carson's words on soul cancer and it worried me.

Now I was alone again, it was a cold night in the hospital and the blinds were open so I could see the stars. They were a beautiful sparkling sight in the night sky, I could see the little dipper hanging in the sky near the other constellation I could make out next to it. A knock at the door made me look away from the speckled sky and over at the door.

"Come in," I said calmly, wondering who it was. Was it another doctor coming to check on me or someone else, or was it Dream? I watched Dream enter the room, shutting the door tightly behind him, like he was coming in secretly. He walked over to me, his feet making no sound on the marble tiled floor.

"Hello Night," He said quietly yet cheerfully, like he had figured something good out, I waited for him to spill the beans. I watched as he reached his hand out and a glowing heart and words appearing in front of my chest, I yelped in surprise.

Nightmare Joku

LV 1

HP 45/105

AT 1      EXP: 0

DF 3      NEXT: ???

WEAPON: None

ARMOUR: Moon Crown

I saw Dream's face fall into grief, I stared at the upside down cracking heart, no wait, a cracking SOUL

I saw Dream's face fall into grief, I stared at the upside down cracking heart, no wait, a cracking SOUL. I suddenly realized what Dream was so afraid of, my soul, my life force was breaking.

"Brother..." Dream took in a deep breath, "I have an idea to fix this." I stayed silent as he walked over, he looked at me with sadness but also with determination and hope in his eyes, "You may not like this idea, but..."

"Dream," I took his hand, watching my soul and 'stats' fade away as they were untouched, "You can tell me, anything to fix what is happening to my soul, I want to stay with you."

I watched as Dream ran the finger of his other hand along my hand, "I was thinking of the positivity apples from the tr-" I pulled my hand away in surprise, watching Dream flinch back at my expression.

"But, Dream!" I tried reasoning with him, "Those apples are cursed! Anyone who eats them has a curse bestowed on them!" I watched Dream's face shift into pure determination.

"But brother," Dream's voice had a whining tone to it, "That's only in legends and what Dad told us, they are also said to have healing properties that can heal any sickness! Like your soul!"

I knew Dream had a point here, but I shook my head no, "It's too risky, Dream, I'd rather die before trying to eat those 'supposedly' cursed apples off the tree of feelings." I watched Dream's face fall into shock, I had practically just swore an oath.

"Whatever you say..." I heard Dream's voice fall into defeat, he hung his head low and started walking over to the door. I watched him look back at me saying, "Good luck brother..." Before opening the door and walking out."

I felt a pang in my soul as one of the cracks grew deeper, I had just fought with Dream... We usually never fight, we hadn't fought since we were 7 over him going to a special meeting with Pa. I sighed, I never liked fighting with him, but he was gone now so I couldn't apologize to him now.

I just hope he didn't let this idea blind his judgement.