Chapter Thirty Three

After my call with William I handed Martha her phone back and smiled gratefully. I was still a little shaken from my first conversation with William in months but I was also getting excited at the prospect of seeing him.

"What did he say?"Martha asked cutting into my thoughts.

"He'll be here soon."I answered tapping my foot in nervousness.

"Great, my husband seems to be running late too so what do you as we get to know each other a little bit more. It might help calm your nerves."She suggested.

"Of course. How long have you been married to your husband?"I asked not wanting to leave the weight of the whole conversation on her.

"Sixty blissful years next month."She replied smiling fondly possibly thinking about her husband.

"Wow that's a long time to be with one person."

"I know dear and the old bag gets to my nerves all the time but I'd not have it any other way. We fell in love young but I knew from the beginning that we were meant to be."She explained with a smile on her face.

"That's beautiful. I hope to have what you two have some day."

She patted my hand and smiled "You already do dear, you just have to open your heart to receive it."

I wanted William and I to have what Martha and her husband had. I knew it wouldn't be easy but if William met me half way then I had nothing to fear.

Martha and I continued to talk getting to know each other. She was very kind and motherly and I wanted to be as kind as her when I grew old. She told me that she had spent Christmas with her son in another state while her husband had to stay back because of some health issues. They had always spent new years together that's why she had flown home to him. Their love story was beautiful.

Half an hour later Martha was showing me the Christmas photos she took with her lovely grandkids when her name was called. We both looked up and her face lit up when she saw who was calling her. It was a greying old man who still looked good for his age meaning he had been a heartbreaker when he was younger. He had a bouquet of flowers in hand and a wide smile on his face. Martha got up and met him halfway in a sweet embrace. He gave her the flowers and they kissed. It was so sweet and romantic. They seemed so in love it was a wonder they had been together for sixty years. I hoped that if William and I managed to fix everything we would be together in sixty years and manage to grow old together.

Martha approached me and introduced her husband. He was just as nice as she was and was very sympathetic when he heard the short version of my story.

"Dear we need to go now. Are you sure you will be okay?"Martha asked.

"Yeah of course, William will be here soon."

"Okay I hope you two fix everything and find happiness together. Here is my number, you call me anytime. I'd love to have you over if you decide to stay and hear how everything went."She said handing me her number written on a piece of paper.

I stashed it safely in my backpack and turned to her with a smile.

"I will be safe and thank you so much for everything."I smiled appreciatively.

They both hugged me before Caleb helped his wife with her bags and they walked arm in arm out of the airport. I hugged my arms around myself looking at the door longingly wondering when William would arrive. It was almost an hour since I had called him so he should have been there already. Feeling hungry I decided to buy a coffee and a muffin from the airport cafeteria. I didn't want to eat much since I was still unfamiliar with my environment and didn't know what was good for me and what wasn't.