23

'Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap,' I rushed to the agreed meeting place, this morning had so many things going on I forgot I was supposed to meet Tsunade.  Of course, I'm about an hour late because Kakas*** (new nickname for sensei!) dragged out the meeting.  Why in Tartarus was I even there?  It was a parental meeting!

'You're la~ate,' sing-songed Shannaro.

"Shut up."

Tsunade looked up from her scrolls, "Excuse me?"

Did I say that out loud? "Not you, the person in my head."

"You have a person in your head," she said incredulously, "And you were supposed to be here a while ago, do you know how long it's been?"

"Ah, sorry, Tsunade, Sensei held us up at a meeting."

She raised an eyebrow, "A meeting?  I believe you went over the specifics of the mission yesterday, when discussing injuries."

I shook my head, "It was for parents, they wanted reassurance about the kinds of mission we're getting and a way to keep me in check."

"Well, it's not surprising that they're wary of you.  You did cause quite a bit of damage."

I snorted, "I destroyed half the bridge, but it all worked out in the end, right?"

"That's not to say what you did was right.  Anyway, I'm not here to talk about that, I think you need to learn how to control your powers.  They're out of control, and what will you do if they somehow cause people to find out your real gender?"

"Even if they find my real gender, what can they do?  I'm dying in less than a year anyway."

"And what makes you say that?"

"I had a dream where I was directly told I was going to die.  I have until my thirteenth birthday, and that's it."

"Have you considered that's your own subconscious?  Or maybe the dream was caused by something else?"

I hesitated.  Most of my dreams were always either nightmares or prophetic visions.  This one did seem to have a lot in common with a nightmare.

Tsunade placed a hand on my shoulder, "Sometimes dreams are just our own mind telling us what we unconsciously want, they might expose you to fear to make yourself braver, create an impossible fantasy we wish was real, or reveal our hidden desires, which we may or may not know about.  Sakura, do you want to die?"

I balked, "Of course not!  Why would I want to die?!"

"Then do you fear dying?"

"Yeah, like any rational person."

"Did the dream show you something else you fear or maybe regret?"

This last question caused me to pause.  I did fear my uncle.  I regretted letting my dad die, while I stood just outside the door.  I regretted not fighting back when my uncle took me as a slave.

"Yes."

The hand left my shoulder, "I won't push any further, but this might be something telling you to either fix your past mistakes or not to let the same things happen again," she suddenly lost her seriousness and brightened up, "So, let's get going!"

I rolled my eyes, "Hai, sensei."

--------------------------

"You see this book?  It teaches everything a medic needs to know."

"Can I see it?"  I asked.

Tsunade snapped the book shut, "No, it's too early for you.  I will be teaching concepts from this though, and I have a kids edition," she said, handing me a different book with brighter colors, "This will be your homework book.  I'll tell you what to study and quiz you on what you learned later."