Promise// Chapter 7

El's POV 

'Ready are you? What knows you of ready?' Mike says in a strange voice. 'His name's Yoda. He can use the Force to move things with his mind, like this. Whoosh!' 

I pick up a small plastic object. 

'Oh, this is my dinosaur, Rory. Look, he has a speaker in his mouth so he can roar.'
I wander around, looking at pictures of Mike and his friends. 

'Oh, these are all my science fair trophies. We got first every year. Except for last year when we got third. Mr. Clarke said it was totally political.' 

I gasp, touching one of the faces through the glass. 

'You know Will? Did you see him? Last night? On the road?'

..

After Mike's mama comes home, he makes me wait in the closet. All the memories of Papa come back, the darkness, the pain, and the sadness. I curl up in a ball, and wait for the light to come back. 

'Papa! Papa! No! Papa! No! No! No!' i screamed, kicking at the people trying to drag me away. 'Papa! Papa!' I banged on the door, shrouded in darkness. 'Papa! Papa!' 

..

'Eleven? Is everything okay?  El?' The light rushes back and I raise my chin from my knees. 

'Mike.' I sob quietly. 

'Is everything okay?' Mike asks, taking a deep breath. 

I nod. 

'Are you sure?'

'Promise.' 

...

Y/n's POV 

'El, how are you?' I come into the room and I hug her. 

'Good.' She says quietly. El's always been quiet. Even in the Lab. 

'Are you out of your mind?' Lucas whispers to Mike.

'Just listen to me.' Mike says. 

'You are out of your mind!' 

'She knows about Will.' Mike says. I perk up at this-

'What do you mean she knows about Will?' 

'She pointed at him, at his picture. She knew he was missing. I could tell.' Mike explains. 

'You could tell?'  

'Just think about it. Do you really think it was a coincidence that we found her on Mirkwood,
the same place where Will disappeared?

'That is weird.' Dustin agrees. 

'And she said bad people are after her. I think maybe these bad people are the same ones that took Will. I think she knows what happened to him.

'Then why doesn't she tell us?' Dustin asks. 

'She's scared.' I say. 'don't pester her. 

'Do you know where he is?' Mike says quietly. 

'Do you know where Will is?' Lucas says loudly. 

'Stop it, you're scaring her!' I yell. 

'She should be scared!' Lucas fires back. 'If you know where he is, tell us!'

'This is nuts. We have to take her to your mom.' Dustin says. 

'No! Eleven said telling any adult would put us in danger.' Mike says. 

'What kind of danger?' Dustin says. 'Mike, what kind of danger?'

'Danger danger.' Mike makes a gun with his hand. 

'No, no, no! We're going back to plan A. We're telling your mom.' Lucas says, going out the door. A force closes it before he can even touch the doorknob. I smile a little. 

'No.' El says. 

...

'Something wrong with the meatloaf?' Karen asks Dustin at dinner. 

'Oh, no, I had two bologna sandwiches for lunch.' Dustin explains. 'I don't know why.'

I roll my eyes, taking another bite. The boys decided it would be best to leave El in Mike's room while we ate, then figure out a plan after. 

'It's delicious, Mommy.' Nancy smiles.  

'Thank you, sweetie.' I could tell that she wanted something, and so could Mike. 

'So, there's this...special assembly thing tonight...for Will at the school field. Barb's driving.

'Why am I just hearing about this?' Karen asks, putting down her fork. 

'I thought you knew.'

'I told you, I don't want you out after dark until Will is found.' Karen says, shaking her head. 

'I know, I know, but it'd be super weird if I'm not there. I mean, everyone's going.' Nancy says, sighing. 

'Just...be back by 10:00. Why don't you take the boys, too?' Karen suggests. 

'No!' Mike says loudly. 

'Don't you think you should be there? For Will?' Karen glances at me. Of course I would be there for Will, but I don't think Nancy's actually going to that assembly. She just wants to hang out with Steve. I hate that she's using Will as an excuse though. Just then, out of the corner of my eye, I see El walk across the hallway. Dustin sees her too, and Mike chokes on his milk. Just as Karen's about to turn around, Dustin smacks the table with both fists. 

'Sorry. Spasm.' 
Holly whimpers softly. 

'Oh...It's okay, Holly. It's just a loud noise.' Karen says to her. 

'Nice.' I whisper to Dustin. 

..

'El?' Mike says, opening the door to his room after dinner. 'No adults. Just us and some meatloaf.
Don't worry. They won't tell anyone about you. They promise. Right?' 

'We never would've upset you if we knew you had superpowers.' Dustin says and I elbow him hard. 'Ow!'

'What Dustin is trying to say is that they were just scared... earlier. That's all. We just wanted to find our friend.' Mike explains. 

' "Friend"? ' El asks. 

'Yeah, friend. Will?' Mike says. 

'What is "friend"?' El frowns. 

'Is she serious?' Lucas asks. 

'Um, a friend—Is someone that you'd do anything for. You lend them your cool stuff, like comic books and trading cards. And they never break a promise. Especially when there's spit.' Mike explains. 

 'Spit?' El asks. 

'A spit swear means...' Dustin spits. 'you never break your word.'

'It's a bond.' I say. 'That's super important, because friends...they tell each other things.' 

'Things that parents don't know.'