The Battle's Over// chapter 24

Y/n's POV 

I fiddle with my fingers in the waiting room at the hospital. El is gone. El is gone. If I could've finished the Demogorgon myself, she might still be with us. Stop. I know I can't think like that. It won't bring her back. 

'Guys. Guys, he's up. Will is up. Guys, Will's up.' Jonathan comes out of Will's hospital room. I sit straight up, shaking Lucas and Dustin. 

'Guys!' I yell at them. Dustin grunts, shifting around in his sleep. 

'Guys, come on,' Mike says. I follow Johnathan down the hallway and into the small room. The sight of Will brings tears to my eyes, and I can't speak. 

'Byers!' Mike says happily, running to sit next to Will's bed. I lock eyes, with Will, wiping away a tear. Will smiles his lopsided smile, the birthmark above his lip-god, I missed him. Dustin laughs. 

'Be careful. Be careful with him.' Joyce says, shaking her head from the corner, as the boys pile on top of him. I smile, hugging Joyce before kneeling on the other side of Will's bed. 

'Go easy on him.' Jonathan urges. 

'You won't believe what happened when you were gone, man.' Mike starts.  

'It was mental.' Dustin says.  

'You had a funeral.' Lucas adds. 

'Jennifer Hayes was crying.' Dustin laughs. 

'And Troy peed himself.' Mike exclaims. 

'What?' Will gasps. 

'-In front of the whole school!' 

Will starts coughing. I grasp his hands in mine. They're ice cold. 'You okay?' 

'It got me. The Demogorgon.' Will looks me in the eyes. 

'We know. It's okay. It's dead.' I sigh. 

'We made a new friend.' Mike says softly. 'She stopped it. She saved us. But she's gone now.' 

'Her name's Eleven.' I say. 'She's my sister. From the Lab.' 

'Like the number?' Will asks. 

'Well, we call her "El" for short. She's basically a wizard.' Mike says.

'She has superpowers.' Dustin says. 'Like y/n's. Kinda.' 

'More like a Yoda.' Lucas points out. 

'She flipped a van with her mind, and these agents were trying to shoot us—' 

I smile, as the boys recount their memories of El. I know for sure though. One day we'll meet again.