Gone// chapter 23

Y/n's POV 

'Go, go, go, go, go!' Mike yells. 

'Run!' I say, grabbing El's shoulders to support her. Mike grabs her legs and we lift her, running down the empty corridor. I can hear the soldiers shouting, and the distinct sound the Demogorgon makes, it's cry shrieking out through the hallway. 

'Go, go!' Lucas yells, the monster screeching in the background. More screams come from the opposite direction and I resist the urge to turn back, or hide. 

'Sorry. Hold on, we're almost there. We're almost there.' Mike urges.  'Come on. Come on, get her on the table.' 

El groans. 

'Hold on,' I whisper to her. 'You'll be home soon.' 

'You can eat as many Eggos as you want. And we can go to the Snow Ball.' Mike says softly. 

'Promise?' El sniffles. 

'Promise.' 

The monster screeches loudly, then suddenly the gunfire stops. 

'Is it dead?' Dustin asks quietly. For a second, I'm filled with relief, until the Demogorgon's hulking body comes around the corner and into our classroom. It lets out a loud roar and we all fall silent. 

'Get the wrist rocket! Get the wrist rocket now!' Dustin yells as the monster continues to roar. Lucas grabs the small contraption, firing it directly at the monster face. 

'Back, now!' I shout, getting right in front of them. I send out a blast of energy from my body, focusing it on the Demogorgon. I scream, letting the blue light leave my body. The Demogorgon roars and screeches, flying against the black board. It begins to turn to dust, as the last of the blue light hits it. But it's not over. My eyelids flutter and I collapse, all energy evaporated. 

'Y/n!' Mike shakes me. 'Y/n!' I force my eyes open. 

'I can finish it,' I gasp for air, closing my eyes and provoking the transformation. I've seen the Monster. I know what to do. Lucas and Dustin let out identical gasps as my clothes tear. I become the monster. I let out a screech as the Demogorgon stands up, advancing towards me. I force it against the blackboard, tearing away at it's skin. Then my energy depletes completely. I fall to the ground, thankfully still in a large sweatshirt, and jeans. Apparently those weren't destroyed completely. I fall to the ground, the monster hovering over me. 

Dustin, Mike and Lucas continue to fire rocks at the Demogorgon. I gasp as the final rock forces it back. Then I see her. 

El walks towards it slowly, sliding Mike out of the way. 

'Eleven stop!' He shouts. 

'Goodbye Mike,' El whispers, turning back to the trapped monster. 'No more.' she says to it. 

A tear falls down my face as El screams, the Demogorgon fully evaporating. It screeches over the sound of El's screaming, and then the sound is gone. The lights continue to flicker. Dust flies everywhere. I shield my eyes, and when I open them, it's gone. The Demogorgon is gone. Along with-

'El? El?' Mike yells. 'El?' 

'Eleven!' Lucas shouts. I haven't got enough energy to do anything. I lay there, collapsed in front of the blackboard, missing my sister. 

'El, where are you? Eleven! El?'